Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Does this childcare exist?!

(39 Posts)
Wigeon Wed 13-Jan-16 19:07:55

DH and I currently share a lot of the childcare of our DDs (Reception and Y3 aged). We've been thinking about future options as they grow up, and we potentially increase our working hours, and wondering if this ideal form of childcare even exists:

Someone who picks up your DC from school, but only 3 days a week, walks to your home, looks after them and sometimes cooks them dinner, but is also flexible enough to take them to, or collect them from, after school activities (eg singing club), play dates at other children's houses and birthday parties in the local area (sometimes walking distance, sometimes driving). Parent returns home between 5pm and 6pm and person can leave.

I guess this is a nanny, because it's in your home, but presumably most nannies want whole days? And au pairs live in your house, right? We don't have any room for an au pair (and would only need a bit of after school help).

The main issue, which means a childminder or after school club isn't ideal, is that I'd be sad if the DDs missed out on after school activities, which they can currently do because DH or I always collect them from school. I know that this is the reality for many DC, and the world doesn't fall in and they have perfectly fine lives, but I've been mulling over the options.

Any thoughts?

munchkinmaster Wed 13-Jan-16 19:10:04

This is what I'd want going forwards. I wonder if a student or older person may do it for me.

SummerMonths Wed 13-Jan-16 19:12:24

We placed an add in Guntree and got loads of responses from students, retired ladies all sorts. Lots had great references and experience. I was amazed how many good people applied.

glenthebattleostrich Wed 13-Jan-16 19:21:00

I'm a childminder who takes children to extra curricular activities so it may be worth asking

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 13-Jan-16 19:22:07

A "mother's help"? Though technically they should be called a "parent's help".

99percentchocolate Wed 13-Jan-16 19:25:33

I used to do exactly this as a teenager. One of my teachers at secondary school recommended me and a couple of other students to the families, we met with them and discussed the requirements and my availability.
May be worth asking around to see if anyone knows a teacher at the local sixth form or college? We just thought of it as regular babysitting.

RudeElf Wed 13-Jan-16 19:29:55

This is the kind of childcare i am thinking of moving to. DC currently go to CMer 3 days a week. I was thinking about a gumtree ad.

BackforGood Wed 13-Jan-16 19:30:58

Agree - there's many student or a retired person who would like that kind of work.
Also, some CMs will take to / fetch from out of school activities - it depends what other dc they have.

When my ds wanted to join something after school and our CM couldn't go and pick him up because she looked after another child who was delivered to her house on special school transport, so she couldn't 'not be there' when ds's club finished, then I asked another parent who's dc was doing the activity, if they would be so kind as to see that ds walked out of school with her and crossed at the crossing. she was more than happy to do this - after all, she was walking that way anyhow. So there are often ways round it. smile

DelphiniumBlue Wed 13-Jan-16 19:31:20

There may be a TA at the school who might be able to do it? Or possibly a student.

Piratespoo Wed 13-Jan-16 19:35:17

If you are in London, look at My Big Buddy. It's exactly what they do.
Www.mybigbuddy.com

Wigeon Wed 13-Jan-16 19:38:12

Ah, thanks very much. It'd be prob minimum 6 hours a week, probably more (2-3 hours after school) - would a student be up for that much? How do you ensure safety with someone who isn't DBS checked / Ofsted registered? Just references?

And any idea what rough hourly costs are? Am in Hertfordshire, so probably at the upper end of whatever the range is.

Changedtoday Wed 13-Jan-16 19:39:23

I was also going to say that CMs around here pick up from school and take kids to a multitude of after school activities, so I'd ask around.

twirlypoo Wed 13-Jan-16 19:42:39

I own an agency that provides this sort of care.... I post all jobs on indeed and gumteee, you would def get someone. I have several 'retired' ladies who are in similar positions at the moment smile

Wigeon Wed 13-Jan-16 19:45:09

From what I can tell, the CMs round here often have multiple charges, so I guess I assumed they couldn't provide a wholly individual service to each child (child A to a birthday party in location 1, collect child b from a club in location 2, all the while dragging children c and d to those other locations). But I may be wrong! We do use a CM for one morning a week, so of course I could talk to her.

I do quite like the idea of the children just coming back home and being by themselves so they can zone out and just be in their own surroundings (as currently happens).

stoopstofolly Wed 13-Jan-16 19:45:53

I have this! It's what keeps me sane and working. One of the TAs at the school next door to my DC's school only works 9.30-3.00, so comes in the mornings to get them breakfast and walk them to school. She also picks them up 3 evenings a week, taking them to clubs etc. I pay £12 per hour (£160 per week plus NI etc) in London.

Wigeon Wed 13-Jan-16 19:47:43

A 'retired' lady would be ideal - my 7 yr old can be quite...spirited..., especially if she's tired, so someone who has had children and who can be firm bit fair would be lovely. Normal 7 yr old behaviour, but possibly a bit full on for a student...?

This is very reassuring that people do want this kind of work. I shall have a browse on Gumtree - had no idea.

BackforGood Wed 13-Jan-16 20:07:54

I suppose it depends on the student smile

My ds would love this, and she says immodestly would be very good at it.
He's spent years being a Young Leader in the Scouts, is first aid trained, has 2 DBS's (is a lifeguard and as a Scout Leader). He's also always just been 'a natural' with smaller dc. I think he'd be fine with a couple of school age dc.

My dd already has a weekly babysitting gig with a 7 yr old (I lie - he was 7, he must be at least 8 now as she's been doing it more than a year grin) where the Mum needs to go out early and the Dad doesn't get in until about 7.30. suits everybody.

Going back to when I was a student, I did this for somebody 2 afternoons a week.

Generally, finding someone through someone you know is the best way, but what about enquiring at a teacher training college where they would all be police checked and have some idea you'd like to think. Of course, it wouldn't work whilst they were on teaching prac.....

Wigeon Wed 13-Jan-16 20:48:48

Yes, you're right BackforGood, I shouldn't stereotype all students (or all retired ladies!) smile

florentina1 Wed 13-Jan-16 20:52:37

I did this when I first retired. It was a family of 4 daughters.
I picked up the primary age and gave her tea. Listened to her read and helped with homework. Got tea for the three young teens when they got in.

Took youngest to brownies. I worked 4 until 7, 5 days a week.

Wigeon Wed 13-Jan-16 21:01:05

Had a quick look on Gumtree - doesn't seem to be anyone advertising what we'd be looking for, but SummerMonths above placed an ad and got lots of responses. And at the moment this is a theoretical issue rather than an immediate pressing issue.

Anyone else got an idea of costs?

writingonthewall Wed 13-Jan-16 23:18:29

Around the £10 per hour mark I'd say. Wanting a driver may significantly narrowly your options, worth thinking if that is necessary or would occasional use of a minicab work?

BackforGood Wed 13-Jan-16 23:23:37

I would definitely let people know (when the time comes) that it is something you are thinking about, and ask all sorts of folk if they know anyone who might be interested rather than a random stranger placing an ad on Gumtree though - it just feels safer to me.

Re cost, I'd look at what local CMs are charging, and what afterschool clubs near you charge, and then go from there..... in some ways you might think slightly less as you are using your house not their's, but OTOH, they will have to travel a bit and 'to and fro' a bit so you might think a bit more, but it will give you a starting price to think about, for your area. Of course if you were using an afterschool place or CM, it would be price per child, whereas if you were paying a Nanny it would be price per hour.

ceeveebee Wed 13-Jan-16 23:30:00

Isn't this called an afterschool nanny?
My nanny used to do this on her days off (she did 3 full days for me, then 2 afterschool days for another family, cooking tea, taking DCs to swimming etc)

CurlsLDN Thu 14-Jan-16 06:42:25

I used to have this sort of childcare when I was at school. My family approached a lady they knew who was a leader at my brownie pack, she was happy to take it on three days a week, and was already crb checked etc. She only cared for my sister and I, so she took us to clubs etc

whois Thu 14-Jan-16 13:53:30

Re cost, I'd look at what local CMs are charging, and what afterschool clubs near you charge, and then go from there..... in some ways you might think slightly less as you are using your house not their's,

You obviously need to pay more - because an after school club and CM will have multiple charges.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now