Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

aibu to not want to travel abroad for nanny jobs based in the UK

(10 Posts)
nannybea Mon 11-Jan-16 18:37:21

just that really, I just want to know if it is okay to say 'no I'm not prepared to travel with the family' in my nanny application when it asks the question? or does this make me seem not flexible and wonder if all nannies say yes, they are happy to go abroad?

I would rather not travel and just have a nanny job in the UK. I know some travel very rarely but I would stay in the country. I think I would find prepping and travelling as a nanny too stressful and am not a fan of flying.

nannynick Mon 11-Jan-16 19:36:25

Sounds fine to me... I have never travelled abroad with any nanny family I have worked.

You may find it limits which jobs you can apply for but see how it goes. A lot may depend on location and what sort of families are wanting a nanny at the time you are looking. Also live-in vs live-out... I am a live-out nanny, I do 3 days a week now.

PotOfYoghurt Mon 11-Jan-16 20:02:36

Plenty of nannies don't travel with their employers. I do, but that's because I don't mind it.

It may limit job opportunities particularly for more high-profile jobs where international travel is more common, but there are plenty that don't require it.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 11-Jan-16 21:12:58

I don't travel with my employers as think they can look after their own children on a family holiday

Tho if they did carribean I may change my mind grin

Never stopped me getting a job

writingonthewall Mon 11-Jan-16 22:29:07

Surely if it says this in the job spec, then don't apply for the job. If it doesn't mention it, no need for you to mention it.

Theresadogonyourballs Mon 11-Jan-16 22:34:18

I've always specified from the outset that I don't do travel, even more so now I have my own DD. I've done the odd night in the UK here and there to help out, but that's it. If you're upfront, then there shouldn't be an issue. I've always got my jobs through nanny agencies though, so I just tell them I'm not prepared to do any travel, and they don't put me forward for any jobs with that in the description.

stuckinamoment Tue 12-Jan-16 12:07:44

Thanks for the replies.

I am applying through a nanny agency and they ask the question about travel, so it isn't currently for a specific job.

I am looking for a live in position and was just checking it was okay to apply for a full time live in position without wanting to travel with the family.

Stillunexpected Wed 13-Jan-16 12:25:59

If it's an agency form, then it's just a standard question among many others. Presumably they will also ask if you are willing to swim with the children, are you willing to look after pets etc. I imagine very few families will actually be in a position to take their nannies with them on holiday so it's just so the agency don't send completely unsuitable candidates our for interview.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 13-Jan-16 13:57:14

Of course it's ok. YANBU at all.

As with any job employers like the potential to have flexibility even if it's soemthing that their income would not cover as a norm. So you could say that requests to travel with the family would be considered on a case by case basis but your preference is not to.

Big difference between working overtime for a weekend to travel for a family wedding or similar where parents don't want to use local unknown childcare with very small children and having to schlep along a villa holiday in France and manage the kids while they snooze by the pool.

Callaird Wed 13-Jan-16 14:17:14

I say at interview that I will only do ski holidays. That way I know that the parents will be out of the house/chalet for a good few hours! I also say that if they want me to babysit in the evening then I expect to be off for a few hours when they get in from the slopes (or in the case of my current bosses, after lunch. We are going skiing in 3 weeks, I will start at 8:45 and they will leave about 9. They will get back at 3 and take over until they go for dinner at 8:30)

I will go abroad if MB has to go away for a week or more with work.

But I agree with Blondes (as usual) I don't do holidays where the family are just relaxing, that should be a family holiday and they should do things as a family, in my honest opinion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now