Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How to help her?

(1 Post)
Kelsoooo Sat 09-Jan-16 14:34:51

Our au pair has been with us since August.

She is a wonderful girl, who I've grown to care for deeply.
Her boyfriend visited and stayed for 3 days in October and she went home for a week at Christmas.

She is very happy here (she asked if she could extend her stay so I believe her) and is a proper part of the family. Joining us on meals out for my relatives birthdays, coming to the cinema with me and DH. All the usual things.

Last night she looked sad, and when I asked her what was up she started crying :-( So gave her a cuddle.
She says she's homesick for the first time. But at the same time she doesn't want to go home in March. She feels like she's torn between two homes.

I've told her she can stay as long as she wants, that's not an issue. Ever. She can come back and visit and we will visit her. She's a good friend now, not just an au pair. (Only five years apart in age). DH confirmed this when he came back into the room, without any prompting.

I asked if she wanted her boyfriend to come over again, but he's busy with his exams. As are all her friends (who would also be welcome to come and stay).

What can I do to help her feel better? She's not as sad today. But I don't like to think of her being sad.

She talks to her friends and family all the time on the phone, skype and by text. But she says that sometimes it helps and sometimes it makes it worse.

I really feel for her. But having never been homesick, having never really had a home to return to, I'm at a loss as to how to help.

She has au pair friends here too, whom she see's frequently.

Should I just leave it, or is there something I can do to help? How would other host families help in this situation?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now