This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Please tell me this will get easier

(18 Posts)
littlebearsmummy Wed 06-Jan-16 19:25:19

I don't think I'm posting in the right place, but hey ho. I've just gone back to work after my 3rd baby, full time with a long commute. The two eldest are at school and the baby (nearly a year) is looked after by a lovely nanny. The problem is the baby won't take a bottle of any type of milk. We've been trying for months off and on and now we're at the critical point (ie, I'm at work), I hoped she'd take to it when she realised she had no choice. However day 3, and she still won't. She won't really drink water either so has become quite constipated. I guess I just need some reassurance that being a working mum is crap (a whole other issue) and that the baby will take a bottle. I should say the nanny is being lovely and reassuring, trying her hardest to encourage her to take one.

53rdAndBird Wed 06-Jan-16 19:28:53

If she's nearly a year, will she take a cup instead? Mine refused bottles but would tolerate cups. Also she'd drink milk off a teaspoon sometimes - not ideal but at least meant she got some fluids in during the first days after I went back to work.

HSMMaCM Wed 06-Jan-16 20:40:42

I agree. Ditch the bottles and use a cup. DD would use a sippy cup or open cup or straw but never a bottle.

HSMMaCM Wed 06-Jan-16 20:41:44

Alternatively have you tried warming the bottle teat by pouring some boiled water over it?

nannynick Wed 06-Jan-16 20:50:53

Have been in this position with much younger babies and they do take some milk and it does get better in time - can be weeks.

Given age, I would aim to get it in via food and use a beaker. Have your nanny try some different things out.

Was DD breastfed and have you only recently tried a bottle? Does she take the bottle if you or DH or an elder sibling gives it to her? If not, then try varying the temperature of the milk - some I have found like it rather hot, others like it cold. Is there any issue with the type of milk being used? Some babies have brand alliance - they like one particular brand.

Will she have water? Keep fluids up that way. Then use milk in food.

maryann1975 Wed 06-Jan-16 21:01:32

At nearly a year, I wouldn't worry to much about milk intake. Are you still breastfeeding? Is your dc having your milk in the evening/overnight/first thing?
It goes against all guidelines, but will your baby drink water with a little bit if juice in it? Just to keep her fluids up? The toddler I look after won't drink water, but will drink really watered down fruit juice. Without that she won't drink at all some days and gets really cross and grumpy when she is getting dehydrated.

NerrSnerr Wed 06-Jan-16 21:14:39

My daughter started nursery at 13 months and she didn't once take a bottle ( we gave up after a few days). I breastfed her first thing, after nursery and at night. She also had soya milk (milk allergy) in cereal etc.

Stillwishihadabs Wed 06-Jan-16 21:23:10

D's never took a bottle, but would take.formula from a.cup from 4 months.

WeetabixExpress Wed 06-Jan-16 21:54:22

Had 3 bottlerefusers. One accepted formula fed by a teaspoon. It took a while but we got quite good at it. All 3 eventualy took bottles but it was trial and error to find a bottle they would latch on to. All liked MAM bottles in the end.

littlebearsmummy Thu 07-Jan-16 20:01:16

Thank you for the replies and sorry for my late response. We've tried cups and different bottles and types of milks, including expressed. My older two were exactly the same but did eventually take a bottle, I just don't remember how long it took or feeling this crap about it. We haven't tried warming the teat or changing heat of milk (just to Luke warm), so we can try that. I didn't think I would worry too much as she eats quite well and at the moment at least, is still getting breast milk in the evening. It was just hard hearing her screaming and realising she'd become constipated. Thanks again, it's been such a difficult week going back to work, it's helped!

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 07-Jan-16 20:17:45

As nearly one I wouldn't worry about milk unless wants to Take via cup or beaker

As much as I don't like to give under 3 juice - try very watered down apple juice to get fluids in her

Watery jelly

Lactulose can help with constipation 5ml am
And pm and reduce to 2.5

onthephone100 Thu 07-Jan-16 20:22:12

Put her in the bath (no bubble bath or oil!) every night with cups, toy saucepans, serving spoons.... anything which takes her fancy. Some water will go in, I promise!

Moving15 Thu 07-Jan-16 20:25:45

What about milkshake to tempt her into using a sippy cup. I wouldn't bother at all with a bottle at this stage.

G1veMeStrength Thu 07-Jan-16 20:25:52

This too shall pass flowers

Try the milk hot - not scalding - but DD would only drink hot

You are doing better than you think wine

FrancesHaHa Thu 07-Jan-16 20:29:26

Mine did this too when I went back to work full time. We gave her lots of water based foods, such as cucumber and watermelon. I've heard of people giving jelly as well. By passed the bottle and preservered with sippy cups which she eventually got the hang of. Also made sure there was plenty of calcium going in one way or another - milk in porridge, cheese, yoghurts etc.

I ended up having to breast feed in the night for awhile, which was no fun when working full time, but eventually managed to wean her off.

Good luck x

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Fri 08-Jan-16 05:12:22

My 13mth old started nursery at 9mths and has always refused a bottle and milk in a beaker but has water in a beaker I express 8oz a day for his food due to dairy allergy they make him custard with it as well once a day he then bf before n after work n bedtime. Ds1 was the same.

cherrypez Fri 08-Jan-16 18:48:55

I'm in nearly the same situation OP, except I'm not quite back at work yet. Watching with interest and genuinely rooting for you.

Believeitornot Fri 08-Jan-16 18:51:27

Have you tried a straw? Also how often is the nanny trying? With the constipation I'd be getting her to try and baby to take at last a sip every hour.

I also found nectarines and sweet potato really helped with constipation as my dd got constipated as a baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now