Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Pro rata holiday pay

(7 Posts)
Dizzylizzy123 Wed 06-Jan-16 16:53:09

Hi please can anyone advise me if I am due holiday pay. I only started work on the 26th October 2015 and the holiday year starts from that date. I am having to take a few days off and really need the money and would like to use any holiday entitlement that I may have accrued. I know I know that it sounds mad but I cannot afford not to be paid. I work Monday to Friday from 9.30 to 12.30 total 15 hours. I have asked friends and they said that they think I may be due 4 days which would be amazing if true. PLEASE can ANYONE advise me if THIS is CORRECT before I approach my employer.

Thanks
Dizzylizzy

Stillunexpected Wed 06-Jan-16 18:07:30

How many days holiday do you have annually?

Dizzylizzy123 Wed 06-Jan-16 18:32:35

Hi I have been advised that I am entitled to 76.15 hours not sure how many days this equates to

Hero1callylost Wed 06-Jan-16 18:38:47

76 / 3 hours a day = 25 days a year

I think you'll have to ask your employer. Some will say you can only take holiday as you accrue it (esp if you're in probation period or on a temp contract)

Others will be happy for you to take what you need when you need it, as long as by the end of the year you've stuck to your allowance.

Just ask smile

Stillunexpected Wed 06-Jan-16 18:42:52

OK very quickly because I am cooking dinner, the minimum holiday you are entitled to is 20 days plus bank holidays (so 28 days in total). If you are working 15 hours per week, that should total 28 times 3 hours which comes to 84 hours. Who told you it was 76.15? Is that in your contract? If you accrue as you go along, you have worked two months and a bit so far so to date you are entitled to about 4.6 days holiday. However, as bank holidays are included in that you would need to deduct Christmas Day, New Year's Day and any other days over Christmas which you didn't work. If you only took those two days off, then you probably have 2.5 days to take. Does that makes sense?

Dizzylizzy123 Wed 06-Jan-16 18:55:23

Thanks everyone you have put my mind at rest will ask for those much needed days my employer is nice hopefully they will give me the time off paid.

nannynick Wed 06-Jan-16 20:40:52

ACAS has a good guide - Holidays and Holiday Pay (pdf)

Statutory holiday is as Stillunexpected has put. 5.6 weeks x hours per week, so in your case 84 hours. Roughly you accrue 0.55 hours per week (46.4 working weeks / 84 hours). So at this point, you have completed 10 weeks, so 5.5 days would be reasonable - from which days you have had off are deducted, there are at least 3 over the Christmas period, 4 if in Scotland.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now