Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

employed or self-employed nanny

(6 Posts)
Teaching123 Tue 05-Jan-16 10:01:27

When I return to work I am going to be employing a nanny to look after my 6yo & 1yo DD. However I have no idea if employing a nanny myself or having a self employed nanny is best. What are the pros & cons for either? Any advice would be greatly received!

VegetablEsoup Tue 05-Jan-16 10:05:29

as far as I understand, a nanny can only be self employed if she/he is working more than one job or very irregular hours. so for most family needs a nanny should be employed by the family.

Yerazig Tue 05-Jan-16 11:19:14

To make it clear if the nanny is working set days hours etc you have no choice in the matter she has to be employed by you. There are lots of nanny payroll company's out there for a yearly fee will help set up contracts payslips etc. They basically do all the hard work for parents.

Teaching123 Tue 05-Jan-16 12:03:32

Thanks very much I'll look into these companies

Moving15 Tue 05-Jan-16 12:04:37

You should use an agency. Your nanny can't be self employed if you are telling her when you need her!

Cindy34 Tue 05-Jan-16 20:51:38

As you say in your OP, you are going to be employing a nanny. You are offering them a job, you are deciding when they work, what you will pay them and what you want them to do. You are their boss and want to be able to dictate if necessary that they do something, such as stay in one morning as the gas boiler engineer is coming to do the annual service.

Give a nanny payroll company like NannyPaye or NannyTax a call (those two are the largest two companies in the UK so have vast knowledge) and have a chat with them about your exact situation. A good payroll company will happily discuss with you about your needs and be able to tell you about your obligations and about how they can help you - for a fee. Roughly payroll admin costs £200 a year and the payroll company will produce the payslips, calculate taxes, tell you when to pay HMRC the taxes, give you general advice about any issue that occurs whilst having a nanny care for your children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now