Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What can I do?

(19 Posts)
LisaRoberts101 Tue 29-Dec-15 15:09:31

Hello everyone, I'm in a bit of a pickle and need some advice please.
I'm OFSTED reg and my employer claims some of the child care costs through tax credits. I had to renew my registration about 2 months ago as it was going to run out on the 30th of November.
I explained to my employer that my old registration number would finish on the 30th and that my new one would start straight away after that so I gave her all the details about 3 weeks early (as advised to) and told her to ring them up as soon as she could as we all know tax credits can sometimes be a bit useless, so the earlier the better.
Anyway about a week before the end of November I pulled her over and asked if she had phoned them up yet to which she told me "no, I haven't had time. I'll do it tonight or tommorow".
I took her word for it and left it at that and I haven't heard anything about it since so I just assumed it was all sorted.
Boy, was I wrong...
I received a text yesterday from MB saying this -

"Hi Lisa, hope you're enjoying the holidays, thank you so much again for the lovely card and gifts, the kids were so funny opening them up. I've just spoken with tax credits and unfortunately as I didn't ring them up in time with the new details, I have to pay some of the money back, I think it's about a month's wages that they want and I just can't afford to pay all that back and you every week as well. They won't start the new registration of until I've paid all the money back you see, so I have to pay you're wages out of my own pocket which I just can't afford to do. Would it be possible to maybe pay you in 3 weeks time? I understand we pay you every week and I'm sure it's going to be a bit of a pain for you but I just can't afford to pay £1000 back to tax credits and pay you £300 a week as well. I'm sure you understand, I haven't actually got a choice in the matter but to pay them so the only way I see it working is if you wait 3 weeks for you're wages? Have you got any savings that you can use for the moment? I'm so very sorry about this, it just slipped my mind! Please let me know what you think and maybe we can come to some sort of arrangement until I've paid it all back.
Thanks so much.
Now I totally understand where she's coming from, that's a lot of money,
BUT why should I have to wait for my wages when it's her own fault for not ringing them up?
I can't wait 3 weeks, I just can't.
I'm skint as it is with Christmas just gone and I need the money.
I can't stress enough how many times I reminded her to ring them up, I left notes on the fridge, checked with her at least twice a week for 3 weeks. How hard was it to sit down for 5 minutes and ring them up?
As far as I'm concerned I've done my bit, I was told to make sure I passed the new information on with plenty of time and I did all of that.
She's had 3 weeks to ring them!!!
I just don't even know what to say back... I'm back in on Thursday.
Please, someone help!!

NickNacks Tue 29-Dec-15 15:12:24

I'm not really following it. Your registration number doesn't change and she has no need to call up TC with new details if your salary is still the same. confused

LisaRoberts101 Tue 29-Dec-15 15:17:25

I don't know what part of the country you're from but mine has changed. When I phoned up to renew my registration they told me they would send a form out with my new registration number on it and that I would have to pass it onto my employers, which I did and then they would have to ring tax credits up with the new number before the 30th, which she didn't.

NickNacks Tue 29-Dec-15 15:23:35

Well I'm in England, it doesn't vary across the country. Do you mean your EY or VR number?

LisaRoberts101 Tue 29-Dec-15 15:39:43

it's just called a registration number as far as I know, the number you give to the parents and then they give it to tax credits so they can claim towards the child care costs.

NickNacks Tue 29-Dec-15 15:59:00

Yes, that number is assigned to you during the registration process and doesn't change throughout. Any inspections you have will be linked to it also. It usually starts with two letters (EY for example if you are registered on the early years register) and you just pay your yearly membership renewal free on the anniversary of becoming registered. Nothing changes and parents continue to use the same number which is assigned to all your details.

NickNacks Tue 29-Dec-15 15:59:43


Iguessyourestuckwithme Tue 29-Dec-15 16:01:45

Agreed. Your number shouldn't have changed I've had mine since 2009 and through 3 different employers.

LisaRoberts101 Tue 29-Dec-15 16:02:47

I'm not meaning to argue with you but mine has changed, they told me so themselves and when I received a new form it had a different number on it. They told me to make sure to give the new number to my employer as the old one will run out on the 30th. Thanks for you're comment anyway.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Tue 29-Dec-15 16:55:35


With regards to pay. I would email your boss so you have a paper trail and explain that you will be expecting your pay as normal this month. It is upto her how she recompensates the tax man but you should not be out of pocket. If possible can you wait fortnightly for the money? (Not that you should have to)

nannynick Tue 29-Dec-15 17:06:07

Bit strange for the number to change but perhaps you have changed provider type and for some reason they have issued a new urn.

Your contract is with the family not with taxcredits so the family are liable for paying you regardless of if they get the taxcredits or not.

In reality though they can not pay what they do not have. So what are your options? Stop working for them till they pay money owed. Keep on working in the hope that they will get the money eventually.

DoomGloomAndKaboom Tue 29-Dec-15 17:13:34

Suggest she gets a payday loan.

Her disorganised finances are not your problem. How would she feel if you asked for next month's salary in advance because you'd overspent, perhaps she has savings she could dig into?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 29-Dec-15 17:15:00

Look for another job. You shouldn't have to parent mb as well as the children and what she is proposing is not ok. Perhaps she has some savings she can use? Or a credit card she could stick it on? Or get a loan? Not that it's your problem what she does so long as she pays you - it's hers.

Are those your and her real names btw? Because if you were my nanny and posted about me on the internet in such an identifiable way I would dismiss you for breach of trust and confidence.

Karoleann Tue 29-Dec-15 23:35:59

Lisa - did you forget to do the automatic update service within 2 weeks of receiving your DBS certificate? That's the only way I can imagine you would need a new number after a year. I can also imagine how busy she would be at the end of the years before Christmas.

Even so, as Nick says its up to her to pay your wages she's your employer, but she has offered to come to some agreement. Is there something that would work? Do you enjoy the job enough to carry on? If not, give notice and find something else.
Could she take maybe a week of so of parental leave and you could get temp work, obv not ideal, but it may work in the short term.

writingonthewall Wed 30-Dec-15 07:05:16

Could you negotiate an increased pay for that month in view of the late payment? Particularly if you will have to pay bank charges etc. In the end it depends how much you want the job. Looks like for this month it'll be get paid or not at all - but I'd start looking elsewhere.

OVienna Wed 30-Dec-15 08:31:24

If there are no extenuating circumstances not mentioned here (particularly if you did remind her like that), then the MB is being outrageous regardless of how busy she was at Christmas. I say this as someone who struggles to be organised - we all have a lot of plates in the air.

I would be looking for a new job.

If those are their real names, get this thread deleted though.

Frusso Wed 30-Dec-15 13:10:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

peppielillyan Thu 31-Dec-15 18:01:10

been on the ofsted register for over 1o yrs, never changed a reg. number....

Badgirlforlife1 Sat 02-Jan-16 08:41:44

I have been ofsted approved from when it all started about 15 years ago never had a number change.
different parts of England will have different Ways.
I hope you have sorted something out.
If not I think you need to talk to Mum because there's more to this.
However my mum is only asking you can you help her out ? If it a no is a no.
We all over spend it happens.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: