Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny help please.

(10 Posts)
Mummystar123 Wed 23-Dec-15 18:24:02

I have a nanny that is about to come to her 3 month review and end of her probation period. I am having lots of jiggling problems tho and want to seek some advice before I decide what to do. He contract states that she is employed as the nanny, to look after the children outside of school/ nursery times and to complete light cleaning/ household duties related to the children eg make childrens beds, put their washing in machine, make sure dinner is cleared away, cook for them etc. she does none of the above very well. The dishes are sometimes done but not always, I have to prep all the childrens meals for her to warm through as she burns everything she cooks or the have sandwiches for all meals, she leaves dirty washing around from the children ( doesn't even put it in the basket), is late almost every day by 5 if not 10 mins and a few times later than that ( she lives a 5 min drive from my house). I have told her several times that I can't deal with her being late as it makes me late for work and I get my pay docked of I'm late. One day she was 3 hours late taking the children to nursery so the missed breakfast, snack and almost lunch. She has charged me for this 3 hours even tho I also had to pay for nursery. Her reason was that my 3 year old had a tantrum so she put him to bed and couldn't take him to nursery. The children often raid the house while in her care, mess around in my bedroom and / or the bathroom, toilet get blocked with paper an in my bedroom the got Christmas presents and opened them from the wardrobe. I'm not sure how to handle it as she is my friends daughter.
Please advise.

Ebb Wed 23-Dec-15 18:45:35

Get rid! She should be doing her utmost to impress in her probation period and she obviously isn't. A nanny should make your life easier not more stressful. It doesn't matter that she's a friends daughter, she sounds rubbish. There are plenty of good Nannies looking for a job. You don't need to settle for someone who isn't doing a good job.

Callaird Wed 23-Dec-15 19:38:15

Oh my god! I agree with Ebb, show her the door. How old is she? How long has she been a nanny? Have you pulled her up on any of the points above? Not taking you child to nursery and then telling you to pay her is completely out of order, I'd have told her you were not paying her, now every time she needs a bit of extra money, she'll keep him off school. Please get rid before she does any damage.

Never work with friends or family! Just tell your friend that it's not working as well as you wanted and that you have to do the best for your family.

Allyearcheer Wed 23-Dec-15 19:43:58

Well, she clearly isn't fulfilling her contract, is in a job that doesn't suit her and isn't a very conscientious employee. Tbh, you will probably do her a favour by endng her job. It might give her the kick up the backside she needs to improve her attitude in her next job. I would tell her why she lost her job though, that is helpful feedback.

wafflerinchief Wed 23-Dec-15 20:02:33

I agree, I've got a nanny and she does none of these things - get rid of her and detail all these points as she's unemployable. If you were feeling charitable you could give her another 3 months probation and list all these points - does she have a bad attitude or is she clueless but capable of change? Given she does so many things wrong though, most of us would let her go asap!

LynetteScavo Wed 23-Dec-15 20:09:17

You handle it by finding a new nanny.

She maybe a lovely person, but she just can't do the job.

I'm not sure how you haven't imploded!

wickedwaterwitch Wed 23-Dec-15 20:19:21

Omg don't keep her, it won't get better

wizzywig Thu 24-Dec-15 13:06:32

I feel for you. It'll make yr relationship difficult with yr friend. But my nanny is as good as yours. Id love to get rid but cant find a nanny happy to work with my kids

peppielillyan Sat 26-Dec-15 12:41:26

Hello and sorry to bother, but I am not very bright, so what was the relation between having a tantrum and putting that child in bed?

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 26-Dec-15 16:04:22

I advise you get rid and never employ friends or family

She's sounds useless and surprised you've left it this long

Is she actually a qualified nanny? Or just a friends daughter iyswim

I'm assuming not as no nanny would put a child to bed for 3 hrs when meant to be at nursery and tbh I wouldn't have paid her and wouldn't have explained that she needed to take child to nursery regardless p

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now