Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Halfterm clubs and childcare combined

(7 Posts)
Mummyof2monkeys123 Tue 22-Dec-15 13:49:00

Hi

Im looking to research at the moment but wanted to get some feedback - im currently a food and textiles teacher in a secondary school but wanted to bring this into primary. I thought it would be a great idea to actually run the club/workshop during term time so that would sovle mums childcare problem too. Im currently thinking 8plus. I was thinking of running 1 week carft sesions - so that would be from morning 8am to 6pm where the kids do really fun crafty things and then move onto the cooking club where kids would make 3 "cooks a day" where one could be their own lunch. HOw many working mums would be interested and how much would you pay - bearing in mind i would have to hire this out from a school? Looking forward to your feedback. BTW this would be in ilford, walthamstow or any area thats more popular with mums. Thanks for your time.Any feedback is great!

AuntieStella Tue 22-Dec-15 14:11:02

There's a few of these running near us. The good ones get very buoyant booking rates (the most popular one covers age range 5-11, with differentiated activities, so all a family's primary age DC can go to one site).

You'll have to pretty much price match the provision in your area (at least initially). So quoting the going rate from other places probably won't help.

HSMMaCM Tue 22-Dec-15 16:37:06

I would say that even though this is a great thing to do, most parents won't pay any more than another holiday club type activity. See how much the ones local to you cost. You will have cost of ingredients, oven time, craft materials etc to consider as well.

writingonthewall Tue 22-Dec-15 16:39:10

Kids cooking session in N London charges £30 for 3 hours.

Mummyof2monkeys123 Tue 22-Dec-15 16:59:49

Thank you for help and suggestions ladies - i may just begin on the craft/art one initially and see how we go from there.

LovelyFriend Tue 22-Dec-15 19:03:49

I would be interested in something like this but only if it could take my reception child too.

PhoebeMcPeePee Wed 23-Dec-15 11:17:58

I think you'll get more interest if your core hours are 9-3/3:30pm and then charge extra for wraparound care. I'd also consider finishing slightly earlier as for a 6pm finish I'd expect tea to be included and I'd avoid offering meals if I were you! I like the idea of a craft & cooking day although you may want to include some sort of physically activity/fresh air at the very least for those staying on for a longer day.

I'm in Kent and our leisure centre charges £19.50 for a 9-3pm multi-sport day and a big private school offers amazing activity days (dance, cookery, drama etc) also 9-3pm and is always full at £60 a day! However, it is definitely a better quality option in great surrounding and many use it for entertainment rather than childcare although they do offer wraparound 8-9am, £5 and 3-5pm £10 or £12 for both but no breakfast or tea just a snack.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now