Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Talk to me about live-in nannies please!

(2 Posts)
MtnBikeChick Fri 18-Dec-15 20:20:45

I have until now had a 4 day pw, 11 hour a day live-out nanny for my (now age 2 and 5) DS's. We live in London. We have two guest rooms so it would easily be possible to have a live-in. DS is going to go to nursery 4 days a week (9-3pm) from September 2016 and I will need our nanny less. I am considering a live-in, because I would want someone who can do less hours in school time and more hours in holidays (i.e. before and after school during term time and all day during holidays).

My questions really are:

How much do live-in nannies get paid? Do I still pay tax and NI as the employer in the way I currently pay my live-out?

What is your experience of live-in? Is it strange having someone else in your home? Is it extra work and cooking and generally feeling like you are 'hosting' someone?

Thank you!

Cindy34 Sun 20-Dec-15 01:46:59

Salary tends to be lower than you would pay a live-out nanny, as you are providing accommodation and food.

Yes, you still do payroll in the same way, though the lower salary results in lower employer ni for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now