Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny Wants £15 per Hour NET?!

(13 Posts)
DimpleHands Tue 08-Dec-15 21:41:47

I emailed our old nanny recently asking if she would be interested in doing a couple of afternoons with me helping me out while I am on maternity leave (she has a six month old baby and has been looking for a position for a while without success).

The role would have just been giving me a hand with a three year old and 1 month old - not looking after them on her own.

When she worked for us previously (less than a year ago), she charged £10 per hour net. She has said she would be interested in this new role but that she now charges £15 per hour net! This seems extremely high to me! Am I missing something? Have rates rocketed recently? She has been working as a nanny for about 8 years but doesn't have any childcare qualifications. We do live in SW London but still... How do people afford this?!

PassiveAgressiveQueen Tue 08-Dec-15 21:50:08

Sure, but she can't bring her own kid

wickedwitchofwaterloo Tue 08-Dec-15 21:52:00

I'm on £12 net in SW London, with 16 years experience and I'm qualified so I don't know where she is getting her rate from...

mudandmayhem01 Tue 08-Dec-15 21:54:29

If this is the case I am going to quit the job I needed a degree, a post grad, a years on the job training to do and become a nanny.

topcat2014 Tue 08-Dec-15 21:55:56

How does that get affected if people are not all on the standard tax code - you could end up paying even more out?

OneMoreCasualty Tue 08-Dec-15 22:03:12

If you only want her for two half days rather than 3-5 days per week, it's not unreasonable that her hourly rate is higher as it restricts other work she can do.

Up to you if you pay it. BTW, will she earn enough to pay tax and NI? If not, £15 net is the same as £15 gross (and definitely agree a gross wage anyway!)

Karoleann Tue 08-Dec-15 22:18:58

I wonder why she's looking for work still hmm

Just say no, stick an ad on gumtree and get a mothers help for £10/hr.

Cindy34 Tue 08-Dec-15 22:20:01

Your £10net may have been based on a 50-60 hour week. Now you may be looking at 4-8 hours. So time wise does not compare. So that would go some way to explain the difference in hourly cost.

If you are only wanting a few hours a week, £15 net may not be any different to £15 gross if it is their only income. You would need to know the figures and their tax code. Maternity pay I think is taxable income so they would have had some income this tax year but they may not have used that much of their personal allowance. No employee or employers NI if you pay less than a certain amount per week. Have a play with the paye calculators to get a feel for what it would realljy cost given various situations.

I feel parents are the one offering the job so are the one to decide the salary. So does not matter what the nanny wants to earn, if you are offering x and they want y then it won't work.

Yerazig Wed 09-Dec-15 07:07:19

I wouldn't necessary ask for for £15 but for a few hours a day I would be wanting more then the standard £10 ph which is fine for a 50/60hr week

Stillunexpected Wed 09-Dec-15 09:29:32

Just say no. I know that nannies who work only after-school or reduced hours often charge higher rates as it restricts their ability to accept other work. However, your nanny is not working at all at the moment and will be restricted anyway in that not everyone is happy to have a nanny with child. She is obviously struggling to find work (from your post) so she is cutting her hand off to spite her face by charging you this inflated rate! Presumably, as you only want help for a number of months, you would be amenable to a short notice period for her if she did find a full-time job so she really seems to be expecting you to make up a large portion of her income in a very small period of time.

If you have flexibility on the days and hours you need, I am sure you will find someone already working who will be able to accommodate what you need.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 09-Dec-15 16:15:54

Whatever you pay her make sure it is Gross or you will have a hue tax bill if she finds another job in that tax year

£15 nett is way over priced / say no and offer what you can afford - I would say about £14gross as may be higher then what average nanny earns as means she can't do a full day's work

Where will her baby be? If with you /her then should be a slightly reduced rate

peppielillyan Sun 13-Dec-15 22:12:52

All depends on the situation.... Most of the time I do 8-7 (7.30 sometimes) 5 days a week for £200, and have £40 for my weekly travel... but if the lady has to leave her baby with a babysitter, to come to work, and pay £6-£7 on the train, then it sort of make sense....

M48294Y Sun 13-Dec-15 22:19:06

Why not advertise for a mother's help if she is not going to be left in sole charge?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now