Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

how to become OFSTED registered?

(9 Posts)
WLTMEET Mon 07-Dec-15 16:44:37

Hi everyone.
I'm actually asking this question for a friend. Well two questions actually, if that's ok.

She has spent the last year working as a nanny for a family and studied some child care qualifications along the way (I think level 2?) at college. She isn't from this country, so despite having a degree in another subject, she had to start low. Her employer paid for her to do paediatric first aid, so she has that as well.
Ok so now she would like to become ofsted registered, but also self employed.
Can anyone tell me how she can do this? What steps does she need to take? Her longer term plan is to be able to be a qualified and registered nanny so that she can command a better salary. TIAsmile

nannynick Mon 07-Dec-15 20:03:38

For Ofsted registration she will need:

DBS Check on the Update Service.
Paediatric First Aid suitable for the ages of children in her care.
Nanny Insurance.
Level 2 or Common Core Skills & Knowledge training.

She has the first aid, so next thing I would get would be the Common Core Skills course. There are several providers:

This will take a few weeks to do as the courses often have some work you do at home.

Whilst completing Common Core Skills, I would get the DBS check underway. Depending how long they have been in the UK they may require documents from previous countries they have been in, which will need translation.

The DBS itself can be applied for via CAPITA/Security Watchdog

A guide to completing the DBS form and the Ofsted registration form

The whole process is likely to take several months.

If she intends to be a qualified nanny, then she needs to look at doing the Level 3 course. The cost is around £3,000.
Another option may be the Early Years Educator course.

WLTMEET Mon 07-Dec-15 22:28:09

Thank you SO much, really really helpful!x

OhYeahMama Sat 12-Dec-15 22:27:58

Ask local authority what she needs to do - they will have courses for childminders and some will insist you do their course, particularly to get up to date safeguarding training. Mine was equivalent to level 3 and it wasn't 3k!!

peppielillyan Sun 20-Dec-15 20:54:21

I did Level 3 few yrs ago, and it was £800, i think.... but of course she can apply for a loan from the government, such as Student finance England.
On the other question, she needs to have her NIN, to get an UTR, and to enrol for self assessment with HMRC.
Once that is done, she has to do regular invoicing, keeping her receipts from the bus / train, etc....

Lindy2 Sun 20-Dec-15 21:12:33

I did a level 3 qualification as a childminder a year ago. It was subsidised by my local authority and I only paid £100. She might want to contact her LA for advice and to see if any support is available for training.

nannynick Sun 20-Dec-15 21:38:51

When talking Level 3 courses you need to be aware that there are different courses... which are both Level 3 but are vastly different.

The childminding/Home Based childcare course:
• 2 units
• 50 guided learning hours (GLH)
• Credit value 6

Is very different to the Early Years Educator
• 23 mandatory units
• 486 guided learning hours (GLH).
• Credit value 61

These are very different courses - the first will cost £100-£150 and the second will be several thousand.

>Her longer term plan is to be able to be a qualified.

If her aim is to be qualified like nannies where when the NNEB existed, then the course to do is the Early Years Educator.
If all she needs is something to satisfy Ofsted, then the Preparing to work in Home Based Childcare or doing a Common Core Skills course would be sufficient.

To call themselves a qualified nanny (in my view) and to be able to work as a practitioner in a nursery at room leader level, then they need to do the Early Years Educator course.

peppielillyan Mon 21-Dec-15 12:09:42

I have contacted local authorities to ask for funding but i was told that funding from LA has been scrapped, leaving only the loans available for students up to level 5.
But recently, George O. announced that Masters (level 7) can be funded through the same loan system.

what the PP has discussed is that the first is AWARD, the second is DIPLOMA. The way qualifications are awarded is Award, Certificate, Diploma, Degree.

at the end of the day a qualified nanny is a nanny with at least 3 yrs of experience through the age groups, plus a good educational credentials. When i was working in a London nursery, one day a young lady tuned up. She had Masters degree from Switzerland (i think....), but she was scared to pick a baby, because she could break them.....

peppielillyan Mon 21-Dec-15 12:18:32

Other good places to start with are Norland and Chiltern colleges. They do offer quite of training and experience, have agency for newly qualified nannies that the clients register with, and also the salaries of those nannies are good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now