Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

1-2 half days

(6 Posts)
Chloris33 Fri 04-Dec-15 15:49:54

I'd like to find someone to look after my one year old at my home, starting half a day a week and then maybe two half days. Roughly what would I pay (live in Oxford)? Is it fairly straightforward to find someone just for a smallish number of hours like this? I might be at home working in the home office, or I can be out working, if they prefer.
Thanks

wizzywig Fri 04-Dec-15 16:18:18

It might be easier to find a childminder. If you had a nanny then you'd have to advise hmrc, payroll etc etc

nannynick Fri 04-Dec-15 18:48:43

It can be tricky to find someone for just a few hours but some people do manage it. The more open to things you are the better, for example would you let someone bring their own baby/toddler with them?

I agree that a nursery or childminder may be an easier option - though there are nanny payroll companies who will deal with the paperwork for you if you do decide to have a nanny but it comes at a cost - £200ish a year.

Pay levels are very hard to know. You need to advertise at a certain amount and see what interest you get. Could be anywhere from £8-£12 gross per hour. Nannies may want to talk in Net wage terms, so you will need to factor in taxes on top which in worst case situation would be at BR taxcode.
If a nanny was to work 10 hours per week at £10 net per hour, with BR taxcode, no student loan or anything like that but does have another job, then roughly it will cost you:
£5200 net per year + £1300 income tax, no employee NI, no employers NI. So £6,500 + payroll admin + expenses such as outings/activities/mileage. (Calculations by UK Salary Calculator iOS)

wizzywig Sun 06-Dec-15 17:29:34

You still have to pay income tax?

Chloris33 Mon 07-Dec-15 15:13:18

Thanks, that's really helpful. Gosh, I'm surprised at having to do payroll etc. for such part time hours, since I guess they would not be solely employed by me, but perhaps that's just the way it works... Will advertise and see what options come up. Could think about nursery too. Hard to know if it will suit DS, on the one hand he loves stimulation, on the other hand he likes to have very close bonds, is sensitive, and displays separation anxiety quite easily (though perhaps he'll grow out of that - he's 11 mo)

nannynick Thu 10-Dec-15 21:04:04

Yes it is just like a job working in a supermarket stacking shelves - it is taxable income and the employer is responsible for deducting any taxes that are due from the employee and paying any employer taxes.

Try to agree a Gross salary not Net, then you can calculate your costs. With Net pay agreements it is hard to know your costs as you do not know how much of their personally tax allowance your nanny has already used in other work.

You are wanting someone to work when you decide, do what you want them to do, work same hours each week. It is not the same as an occasional babysitter. Government is tightening up more on 'false self employment' so you need to be doing the right thing.

Having additional hours at nursery or with a childminder are also options to look at.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now