Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

AIBU to not have or want hobbies related to childcare as a nanny

(11 Posts)
nannybea Tue 01-Dec-15 11:38:05

Hi,

I am just applying for some nanny jobs and it asks for 'interests and hobbies' and so googled it....

List hobbies or interests that may increase your chance of being hired as a nanny. For example, it is of no interest to potential employers if you enjoy reading when you are not working. But, if you are a talented musician the parents might appreciate your willingness to give the children piano lessons. A love of swimming is a plus for a nanny. A passion for making jewelry is not relevant.

I do have a few things helpful to nannying like swimming, but is it unreasonable to think I would just rather spend my hobbies and interests time doing things that I enjoy like watching films and seeing friends. I love reading!

Why is it that I am expected to have a vast array of hobbies that will make me the greatest nanny ever. I am good at what I do, but I do not enjoy cooking and I can't play an instrument to save my life, but am good at what I do and can be a good nanny to children.

I want to enjoy my time when not nannying doing things I enjoy, even if these things don't progress me to become mary poppins.

AIBU to think this?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 01-Dec-15 12:27:32

As a parent how would I look at hobbies?

Reading - loves stories will enjoy them with my child
Takes part in any sport - likely to enjoy sporty type activities with my child
Sings in choir/music - loves music likely to singing with child
Makes jewellery/ other craft - likes making things will make things with my child

But then I am a parent who is looking for my nanny to have fun with my child doing activities my child enjoys.

nannybea Tue 01-Dec-15 13:19:40

I agree lonecat, but I enjoy things like going to concerts, (music I wouldn't put on for chilldren I nanny)

I like to enjoy my time doing what I enjoy, but feel like I have alot of unrelatable hobbies to nannying so feel like I couldnt write them. I love films, keep up to date with films coming out, but feel could come across as a lazy interest.

None of this means I am not a good nanny though and love working with children.

ExBallerina Tue 01-Dec-15 13:33:04

I would imagine as long as you don't list things like BDSM or recreational drug use, whatever hobbies you list would be absolutely fine.

You're a person too, and who knows? Maybe the parents share said interests or hobbies. That could only be a bonus in the hiring process.

nannybea Tue 01-Dec-15 13:40:25

lol ex, although I hope no one ever has, I feel as if someone out there must have

TheClacksAreDown Tue 01-Dec-15 13:50:20

I wouldn't read that as an expectation that all your hobbies are child based but it is merely trying to capture other atributes that you have that may be appealing to parents. So for example if I needed to hire a new nanny for some boisterous primary school aged children, a nanny who does sport/running in their spare time would have an appeal (more that I'd think they'd be more willing to run around the park or kick a ball about for hours more than others, rather than looking for them to explain the finer technical points of their chosen activities) and that wouldn't necessarily be obvious to me based off their work experience.

Cindy34 Tue 01-Dec-15 14:47:34

As a nanny I don't have time for hobbies! It is dark when I leave home, dark when I get back. Is watching TV for an hour before bed a hobby?

Bettercallsaul1 Tue 01-Dec-15 17:50:52

I think it is a bit much expecting a nanny's hobbies to contribute to her job! In any profession - and in life generally - it's important to be a balanced individual, with a range of interests, some or most of which won't relate to your job. It's a very good thing to do something completely different in your leisure time - like the OP's concert going - so that you return to work refreshed. It also makes you a more interesting person, which can only be an asset in any job.

nannybea Tue 01-Dec-15 18:10:09

Cindy34 I was thinking that, and yes it's a hobby in my eyes!

Bettercallsaul1 - completely agree you need to be a balanced individual

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 01-Dec-15 22:07:48

cindy soooooooooooooooooooo true!!!!

guess hobby could be driving as do it so much grin to/from/at work

Bunnyhipsdontliegrl Wed 02-Dec-15 13:21:41

I agree with Cindy. I am out of the house for minimum 11 hours (sometimes up to 16 hours if I babysit), I'd love to do things, but "crashing in my bed in front of Netflix while slightly crying that I have only some hours left before I wake up tired to go back to work -that i really love though- and spending my weekend sleeping too much" is about my only hobby sometimes

But you have to remember this is job hunting. Everything that goes on your CV should be to highlight how good you are at your work. It applies to every job. people put on their CV hobbies that will show their team spirit, their leadership skils, etc...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now