Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny Christmas present/ bonus

(12 Posts)
Ifyoubuildit Mon 23-Nov-15 15:20:12

It's our first year of having a nanny and I'd appreciate some advice on what the general protocol is around Christmas presents/ bonuses? Thanks

nannynick Mon 23-Nov-15 18:51:14

Buy them a nice gift. Some cash is no doubt appreciated. Think of it as a gift to a friend.

You may read about nannies getting a months salary as a gift but in my experience that does not happen. A weeks salary perhaps.

Reinvent1yourself Mon 23-Nov-15 20:03:29

It is always nice to be appreciated!
I've normally got a present from parents and one from the child as well (I normally get child present and parents something small I know they would like too).
I think it all depends on your money situation at the time. Some families I've never had a bonus one family I got two a year. Christmas one was just under a months salary.
Other families I've had a weeks salary or £100.

I don't think it matters what you spend as long as you have put some thought into it. I love the pjs the kids chose me in my last job just as much as the prada handbag I got in the job before.

Just go with what is in your budget and something thoughtful

uhoh1973 Mon 23-Nov-15 20:45:51

Our nanny buys our children birthday and Christmas presents (also for my husband and I!). So we do reciprocate. I spent the same as I would for my sister (more in fact!).

We either take the nanny and her b'friend out for dinner or give her £150 cash in the run up to Christmas (my husband figures she would rather the cash than endure a night out with us!).

Some years we have also paid her a bonus (£300-400) but not necessarily at Xmas. She works for us part-time. We also usually bring her a small gift back from holiday (she also buys something for the children when she goes on holiday!). We have tried to discourage her from buying presents for the children but have been unsuccessful to date!

Ifyoubuildit Tue 24-Nov-15 11:42:58

Thanks all - a months salary sounds very generous, I don't think we can afford that! I think I'll go for a week's salary as a bonus and then a gift to open. The kids have already chosen something for her from the second-hand presents stall at their school bazaar. It's all wrapped and ready to go, they wanted to do it and it was totally unprompted, which I thought was lovely.

Believeitornot Tue 24-Nov-15 20:57:14

We give about a weeks salary as a bonus plus gifts as a thank you.

ClangerOnaComeDown Tue 24-Nov-15 21:33:31

I generally get about £50 cash and a couple of lovely well thought out gifts the children have chosen.

I make the children winter wear each year and some homemade sweets.

A random and generally useless gift from the children makes my life more than any gift or money from my bosses. Especially after the holidays when I get constantly badgered about how much I love my xyz and their little faces are pleased as punch with themselves.

Luckygirlcharlie Mon 30-Nov-15 21:03:32

So glad I've found this thread! Our nanny is really great and I want to give her a good bonus and pressie. I agree the present should be something you'd give to a friend or a sister and I've got her a couple of lovely things I know she'll like (I'd love to keep them!) value around £150 I guess. But I also think that as her employer I need to do right by her with a bonus and if it's going to be a once a year thing, then it needs to be generous enough. I've also heard a weeks salary is the general norm and I'm planning to give her that. She's only been with us a few months tho. Should we still give the full week? Seems mean to 'pro rate' it or anything. Thanks all x

Girlsville Mon 30-Nov-15 21:59:28

Great thread. New nanny started for us this week. All going really well and wondering if anyone has ideas for what I should buy her for Xmas? She will only have been here for 4 weeks by then ...../

PowerPantsRule Mon 30-Nov-15 22:32:20

Girlsville - I am in the exact same situation! I am not going to give her a week's bonus as I do for nannies who have been here a year - I am going to give her a day's pay, a card made by the children and then spend £50 on luxury smellies or gift voucher.

Callaird Tue 01-Dec-15 12:11:50

I'm getting Apple vouchers from my bosses. I mentioned getting a new laptop when my old one took 7 hours to resize 52 photos of their child! I don't know the value of them but got a Boysenberry kitchenaid last year. I'll also get a couple of small presents for my charge to help me to open.

I also asked my parents and brother for vouchers too.

I do work very hard for them and am truly grateful for whatever I get (especially the two weeks off over Christmas!)

Girlsville Tue 01-Dec-15 20:22:18

Power- great idea. I will do similar I think. Hard when they have only been with you for 4 weeks...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now