Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny Ofsted Inspection- advice needed!

(10 Posts)
NannyC123 Sat 21-Nov-15 18:07:36

My inspection is next week, I've got all of my certificates, registration info and insurance documents in place but struggling with the safeguarding information I need to know!
I've researched my Local Safeguarding Children Board and have got the contact details for the First Response Team. I've also gone over the different types of abuse and what to look out for.
Is there anything else I need to know?

Thank you in advance! smile

nannynick Sat 21-Nov-15 18:10:20

Sounds great. Be aware of risk assessments - looking around the home, letting parents know about anything that is a risk, such as a trip hazard, leaving power tools around in children's reach.

NannyC123 Sat 21-Nov-15 19:41:47

Thanks nannynick, that's a real help smile
The woman who I spoke to on the phone said that she'd be asking me questions on behaviour. Does this mean methods of discipline, how to manage difficult behaviour etc?

NannyR Sat 21-Nov-15 20:42:44

I had an inspection a couple of weeks ago and I had brushed up on all the child protection stuff, risk assessments etc but it was quite literally a ten minute visit.

She checked my ID and certificates, asked if I knew what to do if I suspected abuse (but was happy with me saying yes - she didn't actually ask what I would do), likewise with discipline - she just asked if the parents and I had the same ideas, and was I happy to talk to the parents if I saw something I considered unsafe in the house; I answered yes to both but she didnt want any further explanations/information.

I understand that these inspections are carried out by different companies in different parts of the country so your experience might be different, also other inspectors might be a bit more thorough.

NannyC123 Sat 21-Nov-15 20:54:10

Thanks NannyR, that's good to know!

RattieOfCatan Sat 21-Nov-15 21:49:24

I was asked if I knew who to call if I suspected abuse or wanted advice, I write my local safeguarding boards number on a business card and put it in my portfolio and just showed my inspector that. She was keen to talk to me about risk assessing, my work family have a pool so we went through a few scenarios relating to that.

Brush up on first aid too, I was asked questions about that.

Elsie212 Wed 25-Nov-15 13:16:43

I was asked about the fire escape plan.

You sound very organised xx

HSMMaCM Wed 25-Nov-15 15:55:25

If they ask about 'prevent' it's about basic house rules which help stop children becoming terrorists and about watching out for radicalisation of the older children and their family. This is a new hot topic for CMs, so I don't know if it will come up for a nanny.

NannyC123 Wed 25-Nov-15 16:53:01

Thanks all for your advice
Had my inspection this morning and thankfully it went well smile, I don't know why I was worried about it at all!
The lady I had, asked me much more than I expected on safeguarding but luckily she was happy with the answers that I gave.
Thought it was a bit strange that she told me that I could be inspected again at any time!

HSMMaCM Wed 25-Nov-15 22:23:56

Glad it went well wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now