Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Minding a friend's child

(11 Posts)
Lillamyy1 Thu 12-Nov-15 07:38:09

I wonder if anyone can advise? I'm going to be minding a friend's 7 month old a couple of days a week when she goes back to work.
Do I need to register, declare it etc? She's only going to be paying me £30 per day... I haven't got any relevant qualifications etc, I'm really just doing her a favour.

Moohoomeltdown Thu 12-Nov-15 07:42:34

Watching with interest.

FishWithABicycle Thu 12-Nov-15 07:43:33

Yes you need to register, declare it, do it all properly. You will also need to check that your insurance covers this. You could be opening yourself to a whole heap of complications if you try to do this under the radar.

PennyHasNoSurname Thu 12-Nov-15 07:43:51

You need to be Ofsted registered and have a full First Aid certificate and adequate insurance.

You need to fill in a self assesment tax form annually to declare earnings.

If it is hapening in your home that is

ZoeConnor85 Thu 12-Nov-15 07:55:51

It is so sad the the government have to cash in on people helping out their friends with childcare. Because let's be honest that's what it's all about, so they can tax what is paid. They give free childcare to jobless people so they can 'find work' yet the hardworking amongst us have to pay through the nose. It's wrong

PennyHasNoSurname Thu 12-Nov-15 07:59:49

They do not give free childcare to the jobless so they can look for work.

They give 2year olds 15 hours free access to EYFS as they have an historically proven higher chance of being behind developmentally. Or, in laymans terms, these kids have been identified as needing a little boost.

LIZS Thu 12-Nov-15 08:16:41

Is this at your home or the friends? £150 pw would put you under the threshold to pay tax unless you have other sources of income. Do you have dc of your own?

HSMMaCM Thu 12-Nov-15 09:22:37

Much less complicated if it's at her house, rather than yours.

HSMMaCM Thu 12-Nov-15 09:24:10

And how will your friendship stand up to late pick ups or non payment or a disagreement on how you care for the child.

Cindy34 Thu 12-Nov-15 16:57:44

Remove the money, then would you still do the care? If you are doing it out of friendship then that is one thing, money complicates it.

With money involved, easier for you to work at the babies home as a nanny but then things like national minimum wage applies.

It may seem that Government are interfering too much on these sorts of arrangements but they do so for a reason... they are trying to protect children. We have had childcare laws since the 1950's possibly earlier than that.

Karoleann Thu 12-Nov-15 19:07:39

Put simply, to make it legal you have three options

1. If you're looking after the child in your own home you must register as a childminder.
2. If its in her house, you can be a nanny, but then she must pay you min wage and register herself as an employer if this amounts to more than £150/week.
3. Or as Cindy says, remove the money and its completely legal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: