Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny mileage and childcare tax credit

(6 Posts)
WutheringFrights Tue 27-Oct-15 22:24:53

We pay our nanny 40p/mile mileage allowance which mounts up over the month. Are we able to claim it as part of our childcare costs for childcare tax credit purposes and if so how do we make it official?

Cindy34 Wed 28-Oct-15 06:34:04

No I don't think you can claim that, in the same way you can not claim for activities costs.
Not sure there is anything other than WTC5 that says about what you can claim so it is unclear as to what is meant by Childcare Cost.
If you used a nursery then would any nursery outings be covered? Would any optional extras like French/Spanish lessons be covered?

Has anyone managed to claim for things other than: Gross salary and employers NI
Did they allow claiming for nanny payroll admin cost?

Cindy34 Wed 28-Oct-15 06:36:01

Mileage should be logged and I think it may go on the employers end of year return, though may e it only goes on that if it exceeds 45p per mile or is over 10,000 miles.

nannynick Wed 28-Oct-15 09:49:13

I agree with Cindy that mileage is unlikely to count though there is nothing I have found which says exactly what is included other than the WTC2 and WTC5 booklets which are not overly clear when it comes to nannies.

I suspect this will be a discussion point that will come up with Tax Free Childcare as for that scheme the cost of childcare also needs to be known.

nannynick Wed 28-Oct-15 09:54:56

Some legal stuff here www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/tctmanual/tctm02630.htm but it does not mention additional costs like mileage, activities, food.

nannynick Wed 28-Oct-15 10:06:20

When the average weekly childcare cost changes by more than £10 that would require notification and a recalculation. So including costs which are highly variable may not be sensible as it could result in tax credits stopping and being recalculated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now