Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

3 year old funding help

(5 Posts)
VaJayJay Tue 27-Oct-15 10:16:21

My DC is with a childminder and will qualify for the 3 year old funding from January.

The childminder will be offering the funding from January so I asked her how it will be worked out so I could budget how much childcare will cost from the new year.

The childminder said she will be getting £2.50 an hour for the funding so she will just tot up the hours and minus that from my bill.

I know that it's not supposed to be calculated that way and there's not supposed to be any 'top up fees' but I don't want my CM to be out of pocket so I'm not that bothered if she just takes off the bill what she receives. However my friend who is a childminder in the same city (Manchester) said that she receives 3.70 per hour for the funding (she called it a base rate) and then some extras on top depending on the child.

I can't seem to find the figures anywhere online for what the 'base rate' is for childminders in Manchester, although the direct gov site says that all areas must be 'clear and transparent' in showing how they calculate and pay the funding.

I'm not really sure what to do next as I don't want to lose out on the full funding my DC is entitled to but again I don't want to ask my CM to take the full hourly rate off my bill as I know she'll end up out of pocket.

Is there anyway I can find out what the 'base rate' is in Manchester so I can tell the CM that the amount is different.
Thank you

LIZS Tue 27-Oct-15 10:42:10

Is she perhaps spreading the EY funding over 52 weeks instead of the 39 termtime ? Basically you should get up to 585 hours "free" at whatever her normal rate is either way.

OddBoots Tue 27-Oct-15 11:01:12

The acronym that brings up results in this is 'EYSFF' (Early Years Single Funding Formula'

A search for 'EYSFF Manchester 2015' beings up a document form 18th March 2015 that suggests the agreed base rate for childminders is £3.15 per hour for the 38 weeks x 15 hours. (with 10p per hour extra for "Quality – Ofsted Inspection OR Engaged in a Quality Improvement Plan/Framework" and an extra 10-22p per hour for deprivation)

If ththe base is taken over 52 weeks that becomes £2.30 per hour

VaJayJay Tue 27-Oct-15 11:26:23

Thank you both for your replies.

Its definitely not spread out over 12 months as I did ask her that.

Thank you for looking for me, I did find that search result but as its for Salford council I wasn't sure if the same applied to Manchester City council. I can find the rates for all the surrounding councils in greater Manchester, Trafford, Salford, Oldham, Cheshire East/west etc and they all seem to be different but I can't find one specific to MCC.
I called the Family Information service at the council as they deal with the funding and they refused to tell me what the base rate is.
They said I didn't need to know as my CM should be taking her full hourly rate off the bill, I did point out that they have to make it 'transparent' and the lady on the phone then told me that there is no such thing as a base rate!
It's like trying to find the holy grail grin

kathryng90 Sat 31-Oct-15 18:14:23

Cm here. The rules are very clear and she must deduct 15 X her hourly rate off your bill. I charge £3.25 an hour and knock this amount off bills (I receive slightly more from council). The free hours have to be free. When my hourly rate goes up at Christmas I will make a loss on the funded hours but the increase in fees around the funding mean I break even.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now