Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Fair split/nanny share

(9 Posts)
PenguindreamsofDraco Mon 26-Oct-15 13:19:37

Does anyone have any views on a suitable split between 2 families thinking about entering a nanny share?

A will be 5 and B will be 7 months. Nanny (A's nanny since birth) would do school drop off with A alone from 8 till 9, then sole charge of B until pick up at 3.30; both kids for 2 hours (nanny overseeing A doing homework etc) and then B alone for a further hour.

This would be for 9 days in a 2 week period (so every other Friday off).

During school holidays the nanny would have A & B together from 8-6 and then B alone for a further hour.

I have no idea what a fair split would be between A and B! 60/40?

Thanks for any insights (including whether this is a horrible idea doomed to fail smile)

WorkingBling Mon 26-Oct-15 13:29:44

What happens when A is sick? Are A's parents doing this because they can't afford to keep nanny in full time while A is at school? Where will nanny be based? What about food/snacks?

My point is that it's a bit more complicated than just a fair split. Potentially, as B is with her more, B's parents will pay a lot more. Are they ok with that?

One option is just to agree hourly rate with nanny and agree that you either pay full rate or half rate depending on if your child is with nanny or not, alone or with the other one.

You could work out expected hours based on holidays etc and then blend it to work out a monthly amount that is the same each month.

But if I was B's parents I would be very hesitant that I wasn't just subsidising A's nanny.

Bunnyhipsdontliegrl Mon 26-Oct-15 14:30:24

I would pay one rate when one of the children is alone (£10 net for example) and one rate when the two kids are together (for example £12 per hour, so £6 per family). I don't see why A's family should pay when B is alone with the nanny. A alone from 8 till 9, then sole charge of B until pick up at 3.30; both kids for 2 hours (nanny overseeing A doing homework etc) and then B alone for a further hour

A's family would pay : £10 for the morning hour+ £12 for the 2 shared hours
B's family would pay : £65 for the day+ £12 for the 2 shared hours + £10 for the last hour

So A would pay 22£ per day and B would pay £87 per day.

If A is sick or doesn't have school, A would just pay 2 extra £ per hour to the nanny (so £13 for 9 am to 3.30 pm) and reimburse £4 per hour to the other family (so £26 for 9am to 3.30 pm) so the nanny is paid £12 and each family pays £6 per hour.

It's a bit complicated but that nanny share is not the easiest choice ;)

ProjectPerfect Mon 26-Oct-15 14:40:07

I think this is doomed to fail - sorry.

B clearly spends more time with nanny than A during school hours but A has the advantage of retaining a nanny that they otherwise wouldn't be able to keep (otherwise why else go for a share)

By the time you factor in school holidays, sick days, annual leave it becomes complicated. I would be inclined to go for a straight 50/50 but I'd seriously think twice about whether it's workable

PenguindreamsofDraco Mon 26-Oct-15 15:26:02

All helpful, thanks! The impetus towards sharing the nanny is coming from B (not me, in case it wasn't obvious thlwink) and I am very cautious about saving a few pounds but losing the huge benefits sole employment of my (wonderful) nanny gives me. Lots more to think about flowers

chocchipbrioche Mon 26-Oct-15 17:19:17

Hi there,
I currently do a nanny share with two families. One family have two boys aged 10 and 7 and they are at school all day, I've been their nanny for 6 years. The other family have a 1 year old girl who is with me all day.
When I decided to do this share (after the first family no longer needed me full time) I decided how much I wanted to earn, basically the equivalent of leaving the first family to find another sole charge job and then told each family how much I wanted.
They split my wages 50/50 as although the family with the older children loose out term time by paying for care not used, they get full cover in the holidays so that I get the same amount paid each week of the year. It also means that I'm on call for them in term time in case the kids are off sick, school is closed etc.
The family with the 1 year old get my sole charge care for 75% of the day and shared care for the last 2 1/2 hours after school in term time and shared care for the whole day during school holidays.
We are based at the older children's house after school and during the holidays as its easier.
Both families are happy with this arrangement as they get a professional nanny for 1/2 the price usually paid and there is only a small amount of shared care.
I did think of trying to break it down into hours used each week for each family but that gave me a headache and this is a simpler way of doing it especially if the family the nanny's been with a long time want to keep her and the new family get a good nanny at a reasonable price.

Snossidge Mon 26-Oct-15 17:59:57

If the nanny is still available full time for A - inset days, sick days, school hols, to go into school for random "bring your adult in" days - then I would suggest just doing a 50/50 split (with a 20% pay rise for the nanny).

A also gets the advantage of still keeping the nanny on, as if she was suddenly free most of the time she might get bored and look for a new job with a baby anyway.

NuffSaidSam Mon 26-Oct-15 19:45:02

I've done this and it worked brilliantly, not doomed to fail at all!

For us it worked because both sets of parents were A) easy going and B)reasonable. If you or the other parents are not easy going and reasonable then don't even contemplate it.

We didn't think of it terms of percentages. I spoke to each family individually and negotiated a wage with each, which when taken together was the amount I wanted/needed to earn.

Ultimately I got paid more than I would have done with one family, and they both paid around half what they would have done for their own nanny.

I had been with family A for six years and they had 3 children. Family B had one baby.

I had family A's children from 7:30-9am. I took the baby from family B on the school run and had her from 9am-3:30pm. I then went to collect the children from family A. I had all of them from 3:30pm-5pm. The baby was collected and I had family A's children until 7pm. In the school holidays I had family A's children all day.

Sickness was never really a problem, I just looked after them as normal. We treated it as a sibling relationship really. If one child is sick you don't stop looking after your other children and it worked the same with the share.

Annual leave was never really a problem either because both families were flexible enough to accommodate my choice of holiday.

I always worked in family A's house because it was easier (they had the benefit of not needing to drop off/pick up and I did their nursery stuff in return for the inconvenience of hosting the share).

In terms of food/snacks, family B paid a set amount to family A and they covered all food/snacks (I think £4 a day was the agreed amount). Family B provided their own formula, nappies and wipes.

lushaliciousbob Wed 28-Oct-15 17:18:47

I work in a nanny share arrangement and the way we've done it is with 2 separate contracts. That is because I have 2 children together 3 days a week and one on their own the last 2 days of the week. We have an agreed rate of £9 if only 1 child (one family) and £11 if looking after the 2 of them. My hours are all contracted and pay calculated by the above figures. If family B want me to have their child for any additional hours outside of the 3 days together, then I am paid the difference (£2 per hour extra). Overtime is also calculated based on how many children. (when I say children i mean families, so if one family had another child my rate would stay the same)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now