Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Any advice?

(6 Posts)
francesca154 Fri 23-Oct-15 11:21:05

Hi!

Forgive my naivety on this subject. I'm starting a new job, full time (eek) as a single mum and need help on 2 evenings per week to pick up my 3 year old from nursery as I wont get back in time from work.

Is it reasonable to ask for them to pick my son up to be brought back to my home (nursery 15min walk away) and give the nanny a key to my apartment?

Is £20 per week pretty reasonable? (3-4 hours per week), cash in hand. Or should I be drawing up a formal contract?

God knows how I'll cope during school holidays!........

jannier Fri 23-Oct-15 11:58:12

Most people would use a child-minder to be honest and then book for holiday cover. As they are ofsted registered you can use vouchers and if applicable claim tax credits. You then pick up from the CM's house.

NickNacks Fri 23-Oct-15 12:03:07

I would double your budget to be closer to the mark tbh.

stepmad Fri 23-Oct-15 12:37:21

Yes for the key however you will find it hard to get some one for that money
Could always ask if some one from nusery will do it.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 23-Oct-15 15:40:41

I would ask nursery staff

20 for 3/4hrs work is low. Assume you need 6-8 roughly?

brokenmouse Sun 25-Oct-15 11:19:38

Minimum wage is 6.50 for over 21's so four hours at that would be £26. But I don't know anyone who does that sort of childcare at minimum wage. Remember that if it's only an hour or two at a time you will need to pay more per hour because, unless you employ your next door neighbour, they have relatively more travel time per hour of working.

If you say where you are you might get more answers. Here in NW london I would expect to pay £10 per hour for an adult and at least £7-8 for a teenager.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now