Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would a nanny want a job like this?

(11 Posts)
Duggee Thu 22-Oct-15 14:40:17

Paid for 40 hours per week, but not always need to work for that many. They would have their hours a month in advance but would be different each week. The children would be school age so would be mainly evenings (sometimes quite late) and the occasional weekend day.

nannyagencyquestions Thu 22-Oct-15 16:23:02

You'd probably have to give an estimate on your ad of how often it would be a weekend day, and how many late nights in a row in worst case scenario etc. For example, I don't mind working a Saturday every now and then, but I probably wouldn't want to do it as much as once a month. So I'm often put off by ads that say 'occasional weekends'.

Yerazig Thu 22-Oct-15 16:26:10

I'm the same. It's something I personally would be interested in. But I probably would only want to do 1/2 complete maximum weekend days a month.

Duggee Thu 22-Oct-15 16:29:46

It would most likely be once every 6 weeks. Very occasionally both Saturday and Sunday. (As in 2x a year)

nannyagencyquestions Thu 22-Oct-15 17:01:28

I think as long as you mention that in ad then you will get a lot more interested people. It sounds like something I'd apply for (now you've clarified weekend work wink ). I don't think anyone would complain at having a regular income but a bit of variety of working days and working less sometimes!

brokenmouse Thu 22-Oct-15 22:20:44

A month in advance isn't much. One of the reasons I hated my junior doctor years was that I always got my rota with almost no notice so couldn't plan anything. What happens if your nanny wants to accept an invitation to a weekend wedding 3 months in advance? How long in advance will she have to book holiday and will you restrict when she can take it?

backinthebox Thu 22-Oct-15 22:29:57

My work roster is very varied so I need a very flexible nanny (I can be away overnight with work and can be delayed at work sometimes by days! My husband runs his own business.) I have one who is just fabulous. We have set limits on what constitutes acceptable hours, so she knows we won't ask her in outside of those limits. Her contract with us has changed recently as my youngest has now started school, but for the years before that her hours could be up to a 10 hr span starting as early as 7am and finishing as late as 7pm. Once a week by agreement we could ask her to babysit on an evening. The key to our working relationship has been to be as informative as we can wrt her roster, and in return she has told us as far in advance as possible of any commitments she has and we work together to make sure everything benefits everyone. Obviously you have to have the right person for this kind of relationship, but they are out there.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 23-Oct-15 08:29:30

Agree a month in advance isn't much - tho if it is 99% week days then that will help - say occasional means maybe several times a year

So more then likely to be hours Inbetween 3pm- midnight x5

WickedGirl Fri 23-Oct-15 12:45:24

Yes there are nannies that would do that but it will probably be fairly expensive

Cirsium Fri 23-Oct-15 12:48:08

i would have happily taken a job like this when younger/single but not now I have a family of my own. Just be totally honest at interview stage.

nannyagencyquestions Fri 23-Oct-15 15:37:50

Where are you based duggee?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now