Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Any other childminders find after school kids harder than little ones?!

(7 Posts)
longdiling Wed 21-Oct-15 09:27:27

My workload has completely changed this September to mainly after school kids with a just a couple of little ones in the day. I didn't actively seek that, it's just how it worked out. I thought it might be fun to have older children, especially as my one kids are primary school aged. In reality it's tough. Smaller kids seemed to fit in with the general ethos and values of the setting, whereas these older kids are fully formed personalities who don't (so far) want to go along with house rules like being polite/respectful/no name calling etc etc

I'd rather a toddler tantrum than a defiant 8 or 10 year old any day of the week! Anyone else found that?

systemusername Wed 21-Oct-15 09:37:39

My friend has ended up like this.
She too finds the older ones harder as she has children age 5 - 12 who don't want to do the same activities and squabble.

jclm Wed 21-Oct-15 13:58:25

Yes definitely. But I think after school kiddies are worth looking after because this work is more lucrative?!!?

NuffSaidSam Wed 21-Oct-15 14:01:02

I'm a nanny not a childminder, but I've always found the older ones harder.

HSMMaCM Wed 21-Oct-15 15:33:29

Older ones are harder I think. That's why I don't do school runs any more. I still have school children in the holidays, but stick to children who have been in my care since babies and know the house rules.

HistoricalCheesecake Wed 21-Oct-15 15:52:26

I am not a childminder, but I totally agree! Babies and toddlers seem like a breeze to me when compared with school-aged children.

I think part of it might be that when they are little we, as carers, get to influence their upbringing and manners a bit more. Once they are old enough to go to school, especially if you haven't been taking care of them beforehand, habits have been formed and set for years and that's very hard to change, especially in combination with older children's demands for as much independence as possible.

longdiling Wed 21-Oct-15 20:49:11

Thanks for the replies - I'm glad I'm not the only one! Not sure it's more lucrative exactly jclm, the way I charge I need 2 older kids to make the same amount as one full day small kid. And then the car fills up quickly so the amount I can make is a bit limited.

HsMM and Historicalcheesecake - that's exactly it; knowing the house rules and being able to influence them. It's been smooth sailing previously as everyone knows the rules and (mostly!) sticks to them. It feels chaotic at the moment as once the mindees start pushing boundaries, my own kids join in.

I am hoping they will settle with time though. Definitely won't favour after school over little ones again in the future!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now