Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminding grandchildren

(19 Posts)
Hellocampers Mon 12-Oct-15 13:49:52

Hi all am Ofsted regard cm and looking to have my gc as part of the setting.

Will I need to do obs/planning for her like other mindees? Seems a bit strange but would it be expected?

foolonthehill Mon 12-Oct-15 17:20:08

Yes, Ofsted will expect you to do the same EYFS based planning and documentation for your GC as the other mindees.....unless you are not being paid and have them in your setting but as your GC not mindees.

eg when my 4th DC was a baby I did not need to show planning and progress etc for her

Hellocampers Mon 12-Oct-15 17:30:23

Thank you.

I don't want to charge them for having my gc but they will need to use me as they can then claim tax credits for childcare. I was going to take payment and then put it into an account for my gc.

Essentially would they still b able to claim this just because I am Ofsted registered but essentially not taking payment.

Does that sound dodgy practise?

blibblobblub Mon 12-Oct-15 17:38:09

Erm, so they're going to claim tax credits saying they're paying for childcare, but not actually pay for childcare?

Yeah, that's dodgy.

That's fraud.

blibblobblub Mon 12-Oct-15 17:39:44

Oh wait, sorry, re-read your post - so they will actually be paying you.

I suppose technically it's legit as its up to you what you do with your salary.

Morally though? I'm not usually an "oh my taxes" type, but taking money intended for welfare to put to one side for the kids? Doesn't sit right with me.

lovelynannytobe Mon 12-Oct-15 17:49:29

Yes it is dodgy. To claim childcare element of tax credits you would have to actually charge them something as they only give parents a percentage of childcare fees. So yes you would be taking payment and doing observations etc ...

Princerocks Mon 12-Oct-15 17:52:38

If they pay you you can do whatever you like with the money. Other grandparents save money for their grandchildren. I can see no reason why you can't.

NewLife4Me Mon 12-Oct-15 17:53:14

I think lots of people do this, quite acceptable.
You will obviously have loss of income if you don't charge as your gc place would be taken by somebody else.
It's up to you what you do with your salary.

HSMMaCM Mon 12-Oct-15 18:56:57

I know someone who cared for their GC and didn't do observations etc. She had a letter from their parents stating they did not want her do follow EYFS with their children. She did get into trouble for it, as Ofsted didn't accept it, but they didn't de-register her or anything. Depends how much you value your Ofsted Grading and they might grade you needs/requires improvement, which means you can't provide funded places and get another inspection sooner.

It's totally bonkers, but that's the way the system works.

Hellocampers Mon 12-Oct-15 19:30:20

I don't see it as dodgy as they want to
Pay me but I want to keep the money for my gc when older. There's nothing dodgy about that. My son/dil don't even know I going to do this. It's a suprise.

I think it might be just as easy to do the planning/obs like the others then really. That way there's no comeback and gc can have a learning journal from granny.

Thanks so much for replies.

HSMMaCM Mon 12-Oct-15 20:50:12

You'll all probably enjoy looking at the learning journey in later years.

Cindy34 Mon 12-Oct-15 21:22:02

As long as the payment is going through your childminding accounts, then I do not feel it is dodgy. If you took the money and did not put through your accounts, then I feel it is questionable as it is income for you. If you choose to offer the childcare place at a loss or at break even, then that is up to you. They will need an invoice just like any other client, as tax credits will check up on what is being paid, so paperwork wise it will need to match. They would not get 100% of childcare cost paid, so how would you make invoice match up?

I suspect it would be better for them not to claim tax credits, as they are being cut anyway and many issues seem to occur. You are not wanting the money, so provide the childcare for free.

Cindy34 Mon 12-Oct-15 21:29:16

Would your grandchildren have trust funds which they could not access until age 18?
If you were to pay in to an account like that, which their parents can not access, then it should be fine.
I would try to seek some professional advice about setting up savings accounts for grandchildren. Some sort of ISA product may be suitable.
What you can not do is give the money back to the parents. Though you could buy them things like any mother/mother in law would do for their son/daughter.

If tax credits is involved then it is Government money so needs to be accounted for, you and your son/daughter don't want to be accused of fraud.

ConstanceMarkYaBitch Mon 12-Oct-15 21:32:19

It's not at all dodgy. They pay her for childminding.What she does with her money at that point is entirely her business, she can spend it, save it for her grandchildren, or set it on fire. It's not fraud.

Hellocampers Mon 12-Oct-15 21:35:16

Thank you cindy that's a good idea to get professional advice and showing everything is above board.

HSSM yes it could be fun couldn't it and a nice thing to look back on.

Hellocampers Mon 12-Oct-15 21:37:15

constance thank you that's what I thought too but do appreciate the fact that I need to send invoices and a paper trail to satisfy the rules.

Cleo29 Mon 12-Oct-15 21:37:49

But they can only get up to 70% of what they pay you, so they will have to pay you the other 30% themselves. You will need to charge them full rate and make sure the income is going through your business.

Cleo

Hellocampers Mon 12-Oct-15 21:57:45

Yes cleo thank you all payments would go through the business. Have a healthy respect for HMRC. smile

11776622 Mon 19-Oct-15 14:19:29

I had my inspection 12 months ago and was cming my grandson as well as other children. Mr O said he did not want to look at my grandsons file as they cannot grade you on family members.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now