Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Refund of nanny agency fee

(11 Posts)
Girlsville Sun 27-Sep-15 07:52:39

Advice from anyone who has employed a nanny through an agency please...

I am due to return to work in a week. Our new nanny started approx 10 days ago doing a 'settling period' of a few hours every day. At the end of the week she announced that she didn't want to work for me and wouldn't be coming back. I have already paid a huge fee to the nanny agency fee who have told ME they will look for a replacement but if they can't find one then tough. Their terms of business are very harsh and don't allow a refund and I wondered if anyone and had a similar experience. Given the urgency I am obviously exploring all avenues to find a new nanny.

Callaird Sun 27-Sep-15 10:06:12

Unfortunately, if you have signed a contract stating no refunds, there is not much you can do.

As a nanny I have never come across this before. Most of the agencies I use give partial refunds, x% if they leave within a month, less if they leave after a month, etc., but they try very hard to find you a replacement so they don't have to refund you.

Do check any other agencies terms and conditions though!

Did she say why she didn't want to work for you? I hope the agency have removed her from their books.

I hope you find someone great, it's women like her that give us a bad name.

Girlsville Sun 27-Sep-15 11:04:02

Thank you. Very stressful.

She had a whole long list of why she was not going to work for us, but the bottom line I think is she found looking after three children much harder than she had thought it would be. Her other complaints were all minor issues which could have been addressed had she wanted to.

Back to the drawing board!

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 27-Sep-15 12:54:15

Ditto callaird. You agreed to the terms and signed the contract

Tho weird no refunds. Normally would within a month if they can't find anyone or at least get 50% back

Did you check the nannies ref and ask if she had looked after 3 children before

What ages do you have? All young?

Girlsville Sun 27-Sep-15 13:13:03

Thanks. Yes I did check her references and she has looked after 3 children previously, although not her most recent job. I have a baby and two children in school .

I am a lawyer so am fully aware of issues re signing contract but what I was asking for was experience with other agencies.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 27-Sep-15 14:09:15

Tbh you had a close call. If this nanny isn't capable of looking after a baby and two at school she can't be a good nanny

Better now then a few months

But to answer your question all the agencies I use would refund all money if nanny left this sudden and they couldn't find a replacement

and probably strike the nanny off their books

Girlsville Tue 29-Sep-15 22:37:48

Thanks! Very helpful.

Now looking for a new nanny but no longer trust my own judgment ??

JaneAustinAllegro Tue 29-Sep-15 22:58:54

you have my absolutely sincere sympathies. Our new nanny handed in her notice today as she's got herself a full time job for more money. She treated us as a temp role while she looked for something permanent after being made redundant. Trouble is, we thought she was permanent and it's ONE DAY after we get our agency refund... I've mailed them but don't expect much clemency

Girlsville Tue 29-Sep-15 23:03:04

Jane - poor you. It's so difficult!
We had our last nanny for 5 years and its proving very difficult to replace her.

JaneAustinAllegro Tue 29-Sep-15 23:07:19

our last one is coming back to help out and is a marvel, we miss her terribly. I only wish this one had said something as we could have tinkered with timings etc but she presented it as a fait accompli which is so very annoying
I'm going to drop you a PM

Girlsville Sun 11-Oct-15 14:14:29

Janeaustin - how did you get on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now