This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would this be boring for a nanny?

(18 Posts)
Hels20 Wed 16-Sep-15 20:52:36

We have an amazing nanny who has been with us for a year. We only have one child who has just started reception. We really want to keep our nanny on as she is brilliant with DC and we don't want DC to have too much change at once.

Nanny's hours are 8 to 6. We pay £11 net (is that too little or about right? We live in zone 2). We do not expect or want nanny to do any cleaning but she seems more than happy to eg pick up dry cleaning, do a supermarket shop.

My concern is that she isn't doing anything for 4 hours (at moment DC only doing half days) and soon this will increase to 6 hours. We don't care but does this sound like a good deal to a nanny or does it sound awful and boring?

She is an older nanny and has loads of experience. We really want to keep her on for at least this first school year.

Thoughts anyone? I am getting a bit paranoid she might leave (I have tried to tell her that we don't really care what she does during the day and just want peace of mind that if DC is unwell or something she can pick up sooner than DH or I could).

NuffSaidSam Wed 16-Sep-15 21:38:20

It will depend totally on the nanny in question tbh.

Personally I would be bored. I was in the same situation last year and we decided to do a share. So I have a baby 8am-5pm (term-time only) and then the older ones before and afterschool and school holidays. That was the perfect solution for me because I didn't want to leave (had been there 8 years!!), but I would have been so bored.

Other nannies would love a job like that and would bite your arm for full-pay for very reduced hours.

Just depends on the individual.

£11 net is definitely going rate (I'd say £10-12 is the range).

nannynick Wed 16-Sep-15 21:51:03

Sounds like a good deal for the nanny. I am about to do a very similar thing but I already have a lot more housekeeping duties than your nanny at the sound of it - do they not do any laundry? Make the beds, general tidy up and vac a couple of time a week? I think getting bored will be an issue, so you may find she does some of those things just to give herself something to do.

overthemill Wed 16-Sep-15 22:02:00

You could ask / negotiate extra duties eg shopping, bulk cooking, laundry- one of our nannies was ok with this, another wasn't. A friends nanny suggested a share with younger kids - worked very well

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 17-Sep-15 04:10:23

Sounds a right doodle job

Some nannies works love it - some bored doing nothing

Did you discuss this a year ago when she accepted the job?

It's nice you are happy to pay all day and nanny do nothing - many parents not happy doing this - but if you know you need childcare if they are ill etc the only thing

She should be doing nursery duties

You could suggest she does a morning at school helping /listening to reading etc

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 17-Sep-15 04:11:48

Ps I would be bored and why I tend to avoid all new jobs with youngest /only child who is 3/4yrs knowing I will have 9/12mths till they go to school

Hels20 Thu 17-Sep-15 05:51:11

Blondes - yes, I did discuss it a year ago, so it's not a surprise.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. A nanny share would be best I think. Or maybe I am worrying unnecessarily? And she will bring it up.

I think 4 hours free is ok - but I am worried when it goes to 5.5hrs.

HSMMaCM Thu 17-Sep-15 08:04:07

You need to ask your nanny. Some would love it, some would be bored.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 17-Sep-15 08:39:04

Then tbh I wouldn't worry. She knew what she was taking on smile

jclm Thu 17-Sep-15 09:40:55

This is my dream job as a busy, skint mama!!! But yes you're right, a few nannies would get bored, particularly those with a quiet life outside work (as an older woman, for instance, may come to work to get interaction).

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 17-Sep-15 10:09:24

Or if an older woman maybe she is ttc and is the perfect job for her to chill a bit

Does she have her own children?

stepmad Thu 17-Sep-15 11:57:53

If your school is anything like my charges there are all sorts of parent child workshops going on.
Maybe she could do a few pa duties
This has been me in previous jobs and my youngest charge is upping her preschool hours after Xmas. Parents have asked me to do a bit of cooking for the weekend then that it's my time makes up for the odd late early start finish days when they really is no break.
I fully intend to start and finish a few courses previous roles had charges with severe allergies so actually cook everything from scratch. I can also plan the children's after school stuff I have three and they are really busy. I will go to the gym from time to time I get a few last minute baby sit requests . I have always find that the time goes by really quickly another thing in a previous job I was responsible for all weekday clothing school supplies their food several times when say the washing machine needed replacing down I went to buy the new one of course on the credit card Laide with people doing jobs around the house as others have said some will like it some will not.

Janeymoo50 Thu 17-Sep-15 13:26:56

i left a similar role as I was bored beyond tears. That said, I was looking to go travelling anyway. A nanny share is the way to go I think.

nbee84 Thu 17-Sep-15 14:40:30

A nanny share would only be a good idea if your nanny was 100% on board. I'm not sure I'd be too happy to have another set of bosses all of a sudden. And if I already did the 'nursery duties' in my main position, when would I fit them in if I've got another baby/child about. It is something you could talk about with your nanny as long as it's not put in such a way as you wanting to fill her time. She may feel she hasn't really got the option to say no.

dinkystinky Thu 17-Sep-15 14:48:18

Your options are see if nanny is happy to be a nanny/housekeeper or see if anyone locally needs a nanny for a few hours a day during the school week to help with their little one. I think she would be very bored indeed - might work if she's studying or has another way to fill some of the day while your daughter is at school (but is flexible on it so can look after your daughter at short notice if she is sick).

overthemill Thu 17-Sep-15 16:07:03

I also think that if you child is sick ( and they are so often ill at primary) then useful to have her on hand!

Oly5 Thu 17-Sep-15 21:25:28

Surely it's your nanny who will tell you if she's bored? If she says she might be, then say, well how about you cooking the meals/doing the weekly shop etc. she might want to! Just ask

littleladyluna Fri 18-Sep-15 09:02:36

I think that the best you can do is keep the lines of communication open so that she can come to you and let you know if she wants extra duties.

If she has loads of experience then she knows what she was taking on when she accepted the position a year ago. I've had jobs like this and they were great. As long as all duties were done and I was close by and contactable by phone then I could do my own thing, which really suited me. I worked 7-7, and the downtime during the day was most welcome!

Please don't assume she needs or wants to be busy all the time, all nannies are different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now