Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Not sure how I feel about this?

(9 Posts)
Pudlington Mon 17-Aug-15 21:18:40

DS1 (7) started with a new childminder in June, 1 day per week after school, and 1 day during the holidays. Childminder lives in a flat with no garden, which doesn't worry me after school as he is only there for 1.5 hrs, and during the holidays I was told they go out regularly.

So far this holiday he had been 3 times and they haven't been outside all day, he did go out once this week (to return something to a shop - no problem with this as I chose a childminder to replicate home but is the only time outside). In addition on the permission slip for outings I stated I was happy for car transportation providing a high back booster was used, except in an emergency (he is still very small ), i stated that i would provide if necessary. His trip out in the car was on a booster cushion only.

I have a few other niggles but they are just differing parenting opinions (such as the suitability of some PG films), so happy to accept those.

I have paid up to the end of the holidays and then due to work changes he is not due back until October.

Am thinking of cancelling/giving notice. I have made other arrangements for next week. Am i being OTT? Hard to judge for me. I work in childcare so have experience of difficult parents from time to time and wondering if I am being one of those!

Thoughts?

LingDiLong Mon 17-Aug-15 21:26:29

Have you spoken to her about all this? It's not great, I agree. I'm a childminder and when my garden was unregistered I had to confirm to the inspector that I would still take the kids out every day to the park. She's also ignoring clear instructions with regards to the car seat.

I'd give her a chance to give her side (although I can't think what that would be unless your DS has completely made the whole thing up!) but yes, I'd be tempted to give notice.

Pudlington Mon 17-Aug-15 21:38:07

Yeah I know i need to talk to her, but think the trust has gone over the car seat thing (but get that many other 7 yr olds are in boosters only and I am maybe more OTT than some).

DS1 (7) is prone to tales, but he was just excited he went in a booster on it own and wanted to share. Know they didn't go out etc as she confirmed.

LingDiLong Mon 17-Aug-15 21:43:07

I don't think asking for a high back booster is OTT at all. It's pretty well known that they provide better protection and you've not expected her to provide it herself. I wouldn't ignore that kind of request, I'd understand how important it is. Perhaps best to give notice then, just as well you have other options available!

jelliebelly Mon 17-Aug-15 21:45:05

It doesn't really matter what anybody else thinks - if you're not happy then find an alternative arrangement would be my suggestion.

Pudlington Mon 17-Aug-15 21:46:18

Other options are putting on my parents (they don't mind but feel that I should manage my own kids/childcare), but will do it as won't relax. Nice to know I am not OTT about the seat LingDiLong.

Pudlington Mon 17-Aug-15 21:47:30

jelliebelly - yeah I know, just was trying to gauge it as DH just nods and agrees and doesn't offer his thoughts!

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 18-Aug-15 00:00:20

The outside thing wouldn't necessarily bother me depending on what they were doing inside and how much DS was enjoying himself. If it were full-time it would be unacceptable, but I don't think there is anything wrong with doing indoor activities one day a week.

With the car seat thing I do think it's important to remember that everyone makes mistakes. If he is the size/weight of a child that is able to/would normally be in a booster then I think I'd be inclined to think she just forgot your specific instructions and needs to be firmly reminded. If he is quite obviously too light/small and she put him in one anyway I would be cross.

Ultimately though it doesn't matter what I think. If you're not happy find someone else.

Maryann1975 Tue 18-Aug-15 14:10:17

I would be miffed to think my children were being kept in for a whole day tbh. It's different in the winter months, when the weather isn't great to keep them in (but even then I try to get them a run outside each day) but in the summer holidays they should be outside in the fresh air and running around every day. Keep the indoor activities for the days the weather isn't up to much and get out side. What are they doing all day in the house? Going to the shop to return something is fine, but could have been combined with the park or forest walk for example. I'm a cm with a garden but still go for walks/to the park/anywhere to sto me climbing the walls when I've got a houseful of children! I can't imagine keeping them all inside all day when the sun is shining!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now