Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Looking for your advice please nannies!!

(6 Posts)
Twinkletoes24 Sun 16-Aug-15 00:00:46

Hi guys,
I started a new nanny job towards the end of last year, this is my second nanny job.
I'm wondering if any of you have ever experienced this problem.

My boss seems to think it is acceptable to email me on my days off and at inappropriate times - normally Sunday night around 10-11pm!
I am normally just getting into bed, once I read the email I then struggle to sleep as I'm thinking about what the email has said!
I know that not reading the email would be the easiest solution but I worry incase they need to me start earlier/stay later! It is normally just telling me about the weekend, I have provided a diary for important things to be written in for me to read in the mornings!

I feel very stressed in the job and often have to take sleeping tablets to sleep at night, I feel that whatever I do isn't enough for them, there always seems to be something else I need to do, the children are not the best behaved and quite often I am given contradicting stories by both parents.
I am not feeling happy in the job but would feel awful handing my notice in.

The reason I am writing this post is that I have received multiple emails tonight about stuff that isn't important and one thing didn't even concern me!

It's really getting me down and I know I need to tell her how I feel, but I'm not sure how to say it without coming across as being rude!
Thanks in advance for any advice.

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 16-Aug-15 00:54:56

There are a few different issues here.

1. The emails - You are overreacting. She probably sends them on a Sunday night because that's the only chance she gets. If she's sending them at 11pm then I don't think she is expecting you to pick it up until Monday morning. If she was texting or phoning it would be different, but an email is fine. Don't check your emails before bed; problem solved. My employer also emails me on a Sunday night (because it's the only chance she gets). It really isn't a problem.

2. You're stressed and unhappy - Leave. Life is too short.

3. Children are badly behaved - Well, that is part of the job. Lots of children have difficult behaviour, it's a nanny's job to deal with it. You need to get to the route of the problem/look at new strategies. It helps if the parents support you on this. If you can't handle badly behaved children and it is making you unhappy and stressed then nannying may not be the job for you.

Iggi999 Sun 16-Aug-15 01:19:29

Are they expecting replies from you to the emails? I get work emails at random times but there is only an expectation to deal with them when at work.
Why not mention that you never check emails on a Sunday, and that if they need you to know something (eg a change of start time) that they need to phone you instead.

FishWithABicycle Sun 16-Aug-15 02:15:10

mention that you never check emails on a Sunday, and that if they need you to know something (eg a change of start time) that they need to phone you instead.

This.^ - it's fine to say that you will assume that any work-related email doesn't need to be read outside work hours. Any change of start time for Monday must be communicated before you leave on Friday - don't invite them to phone you if they want to at the weekend. you have the right to time off unspoiled by thoughts of work.

You're stressed and unhappy - Leave. Life is too short.

This.^ - you do not owe your employers to sacrifice your health and wellbeing for them. They are not your kin. They won't feel any guilt about terminating your employment when it suits them in future, the only person you can rely on to look out for your best interests is you. Jobhunt. Find a new position. Hand in notice. Work diligently to the best of your ability until notice is served. Leave.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 16-Aug-15 03:53:31

Ignore emails and don't read till Monday at work

Life is def too short to be unhappy in a job so leave

Children do play up and maybe they sense you aren't happy

Have you had a sit down/chat with mb. Maybe all is fine and you are worrying over nothing

Def try and get off the sleeping tablets. They are not good

Twinkletoes24 Sun 16-Aug-15 10:19:34

Hi, thanks for your replies!
I guess I'm over reacting!
The emails sent on Sunday night often require a reply, I don't reply until Monday morning but I'm still aware that she has sent them.
I think I will turn my emails off at night so that I don't receive them, it's not only Sunday nights often week nights too, even after we are in touch during the day!

I guess it's not what I'm used too, my last job would never dream of emailing/phoning on a weekend unless it was a real emergency, I would be told everything in the morning or it would be written down for me.
I was with them for 4 years.

We have regular chats dinners/drinks/lunches!!
Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now