Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

were you upset when your nanny job finished?

(9 Posts)
goinggrey1978 Sat 15-Aug-15 21:38:14

friend been in the same nanny job for nearly 15 years, has been made redundant as last child is old enough to look after themselves now, were you upset and what's the longest you've ever been in one nanny position?

Callaird Sat 15-Aug-15 22:09:39

I've had 9 full time families in 28 years. Longest was 5 years.

I was broken hearted every time I left! Still see almost all of them as much as I can though.

2anddone Sat 15-Aug-15 22:45:04

I was with a family for 10 years 60 hours a week. I felt like I had lost a huge part of me when they didn't need me anymore. I still see them lots and still miss them.

Charis1 Sat 15-Aug-15 22:46:41

I cried for days every time. Thats just part of the job though

goinggrey1978 Sat 15-Aug-15 22:49:05

ahh thanks everyone, i did tell my friend it was natural to feel sad when she was sobbing down the phone to me earlier, she thought that she would be with the family for at least another year, so it was all a bit of a shock tbh

Prizeplum Sat 15-Aug-15 23:04:53

Because it is another human being you look after and not just a computer or such likes, I think it would be hard not to be upset. You grow close to the children, especially if you have them from a very young age.
Current job 9yrs, previous longest has been almost 5 yrs.

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 16-Aug-15 01:04:22

Longest job: 8 years. I was devastated when I left. I lived-in and worked quite long hours so a large part of my life revolved around work. I had to move out of the area for my next job and so lost my social circle as well. It's a wonder I didn't have full-on break down tbh!

At the end of Mary Poppins. when she's packing to leave, the little boy says 'Don't you love us Mary Poppins?' and she says 'and what would become of me if I loved all of the children I had to say goodbye to?'. I cry every time I watch it.

TheClacksAreDown Sun 16-Aug-15 11:28:14

I can get why it must be pretty upsetting, particularly if you are live in and lose your home at the same time. But then that has to be par for the course with nannying - it is a very expensive childcare solution and as children get bigger and more independent then parents will inevitably look to cheaper solutions or none at all. 15 years is a bloody good run really even if it doesn't seem like that to her now.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 16-Aug-15 11:37:56

It's one of the hardest things in nannying

You know one day you will leave as they wobble off to school etc

Most of my perm jobs I have stayed 4/5+ yrs and get made redundant as don't need me as youngest at school or they move

Keep in touch with as many as I can

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now