Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Anyone use a childminder full time?

(7 Posts)
stuckinahole Thu 13-Aug-15 18:25:50

Hi

Does anyone use a childminder full time, 8-6pm scenario?

I am trying to weigh up options as to whether nursery or a childminder is best.

Thank you

GobShites Thu 13-Aug-15 19:15:51

My DS is 2 and a half and has been going to a childminder full time (7.30am-5pm) since he was 9 months old.

He absolutely loves it there. I visited lots of nurseries but in the end I just felt that as he was going to be in full time childcare, I wanted him to be in a homely environment and I definitely made the right choice.

He has a brilliant bond with the CM and I feel like he's not just being cared for whilst he's there but loved too if that makes sense.

I also picked a childminder who does school drop offs and pick ups from the school my DS is most likely to attend so hopefully he can continue with the same CM for holidays and wrap around care once he starts nursery school next year.

Hope that helps smile

HSMMaCM Thu 13-Aug-15 21:45:45

I have 3 children who come to me 8-6 Monday to Friday. They get on really well with each other.

stuckinahole Thu 13-Aug-15 22:13:47

This is great thank you smile so a CM wouldn't mind having a child for that length of time either?

My DS currently goes 9-3 but I'm likely to return to full time work very soon, so my ideal situation is he just stays with her longer

Thanks for the input on this

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 13-Aug-15 22:21:07

i have done yes, not currently but that's because the wonderful cm stopped minding. it was great, ds2 had just turned 1 and dd was 4 with ds1 at school so just doing before and after school. they all adored her and she and ds2 had a great bond. they felt so at home there that they could happily flop and rest if they needed to. for me with them doing long hours that was what i wanted, while the cm had plenty of activities planned she could also read the dc well and knew when they needed to just have some quiet time. while nursery does have space to relax and be quiet there is always a lot going on and it is harder for children to switch off. ds2 currently goes to nursery 2 days a week and has 3 days with a nanny, he is 3 now. he is exhausted after nursery days. happy but exhausted.

ultimately though all nurseries are different and so are childminders. our childminder was quiet, some are very busy. some nurseries can be really quiet,I've used one in the past full time that was tiny and really homely. you need to visit a range of childcare providers and see what will suit you.

Maryann1975 Thu 13-Aug-15 22:24:57

I would love to have a full time child to look after, 8-6. It's long hours, but regular and better (IMO) than having two or three part time children who fill that space.

LingDiLong Mon 17-Aug-15 21:39:15

I'm a childminder and I've only had one full timer - which is a shame actually because I'd love more of them! He really has become part of the family and we have a lovely bond. I'm gutted that he starts school in September, I'm going to miss him so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now