Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Qualifications for live-in nanny?

(10 Posts)
Eden27 Mon 10-Aug-15 08:27:58

Not sure if this is the right thread but DD is interested in doing some live-in nannying for a year or so after school in the UK or europe.
She'll be 18 by that time, but we're not sure if she's qualified enough.
She will be doing her (Australian) swimming instructor for toddlers qualification soon (qualifies to teach from 6 month up), and has first aid/cpr qualifications (again Australian qualifications). She also wants to do an 'esl' English teaching course before she finishes school (maybe good for European families wanting kids to learn English??) .
She has worked in a few primary schools teaching creative writing/english and is good with kids, but other than casual baby sitting doesn't have any experience of private childcare.
Should she consider a different option? I'm not sure it's realistic but she seems keen...

Cindy34 Mon 10-Aug-15 09:35:50

First aid, swimming teaching sound great.
I would try to get more experience with caring for children in the home, so doing more babysitting with children of various ages.
Need confidence in handling babies, toddlers and school aged children.
Any weekend nanny type role she could get where you are? Doing 3+ hours on a Saturday whilst parents work would be great experience, as it is daytime care rather than when children are asleep most of the time.

Can she cook? Can she use a washing machine? Is she a good timekeeper and manages schedules well? May sound simple but a lot of the role includes cooking, laundry, keeping things tidy, being organised.

Eden27 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:49:08

Thanks for the advice Cindy!

She isn't a great cook but can cook basic meals for kids and can follow a recipe.
She's fine with dishwasher, washing machine, dryer etc (although I can never get her to do her own laundry!).
She is very tidy and organised when it comes to home life and school schedule, but the organisation skills might be different in a nanny role.

She doesn't have any childcare qualifications such as a degree or diploma, how likely is it that she'd actually get a job? And what can a nanny with her
basically non existent experience expect to get paid? Also, she'd be looking for a short term role (a year), is that realistic or do most people hire long term nannies?

Melissande Mon 10-Aug-15 10:53:55

She could definitly (and would be an attractive candidate) as an aupair/aupair plus. Have a look at sites like aupair world and kangarooaupair to find out what families are looking for. A family living near the sea or with a pool might jump at the chance of having a live in swimming teacher!

Eden27 Mon 10-Aug-15 11:56:08

Thanks Melissande!
Would she actually qualify as an au pair (rather than nanny)? Are there Au pair requirements (eg. nationality/age - sorry, I'm a bit clueless)? Is there a huge difference between a nanny and au pair?
She's a British citizen so cultural exchange and language learning typical of au pair jobs don't really apply (although she could go to a non-english speaking country I suppose?)

Ebb Mon 10-Aug-15 13:51:49

A nanny is generally someone who is either qualified in Childcare (NNEB/NVQ etc ) or experienced and capable of sole charge of young children. An au pair is someone who has no or very little experience of children and usually works under supervision a few hours a day with slightly older children IE. Not babies/toddlers.

Your daughter would probably be better looking for a mothers help job where the Mum is around but she's an extra pair of hands and can build up some experience. It's lower paid than a nanny but better than an au pair.

Melissande Mon 10-Aug-15 17:31:36

There are no agerestrictions on being an au pair, the current aupairs I know are aged 18-28, but I know of a 40 year old as well. Its a good way to build experience, and gain lifeskills, and looks great on a CV. A british national can be an aupair in any EU country without problems. Its a freat way to gain language skills as well! There is lots of info on the aupairworld site.

Melissande Mon 10-Aug-15 17:34:35

Just to add she can be an english aupair in the UK, thats absolutly fine esp if she now lives in Australia and wanys to experience the UK. But why not explore further and find a british family in another european country to explore further? The world is her oyster!

BoboChic Mon 10-Aug-15 17:38:07

She sounds lovely, OP, and I have met other similar Australian girls doing au pair/nanny work in Paris. Top tip: look for a family with a housekeeper who wants a lot of English input, so preferably with DC at a bilingual school.

Eden27 Tue 11-Aug-15 12:50:40

Thanks everyone! And great idea to find a family who want lots of English in Europe!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now