Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Before/After School Care

(9 Posts)
stuckinahole Wed 05-Aug-15 13:27:43

Bit premature with this but I'm a planner!

So when DS starts school I intend to go back to work Full Time (work P/T now)

Full Time being 9-5:30pm

So my question is ....

I'll be likely to be able to take DS to school but what happens with after school childcare? Childminder? Nanny? After school club?

Then what about school holidays?

I am a lone parent by the way and NC with DS Father.

And then what happens if I can't take DS to school as in need to be in early/meetings etc ... before school club???

I'm clueless & would just like to know about what options are out there smile

Thanks so much

badgerhead Wed 05-Aug-15 15:28:09

I would look for a good childminder who is able to look after your ds after school & in the holidays, they might also be able to do the occasional morning school run.

LemonYellowSun Wed 05-Aug-15 15:37:49

We have a breakfast and after school club at our school which is great, but if you are full time, I would imagine it would be a lot cheaper to use a childminder.

sunnydayinmay Wed 05-Aug-15 16:03:42

Either a childminder, or a mixture of breakfast, afterschool and holiday clubs. It depends on your school, but there will be provision available.

In your position, I would plan to go full time after the first feb half term. Get a term out of the way first if you can, as they can get knackered at the start.

YonicScrewdriver Wed 05-Aug-15 16:40:47

Does the school in question have a breakfast and after school club? If so, are they oversubscribed already?

YonicScrewdriver Wed 05-Aug-15 16:41:54

Do you work very close to the school? You can't usually drop off until 845 or so.

HSMMaCM Wed 05-Aug-15 17:55:57

Some schools like you to take them into the classroom at the start of reception year. They may also start half days. Breakfast clubs are rarely offered on an adhoc basis and usually have to be booked in advance. Some have waiting lists.

Probably a childminder who already does morning, afternoon and shook holidays?

Maybe before and after school club and holiday clubs for an older child if you want to change later.

stuckinahole Thu 06-Aug-15 10:00:21

Thanks for all this, very helpful

suitcaseofdreams Fri 14-Aug-15 21:25:46

I am a single parent with twins - they start reception in Sept. I work 3 days a week - on my work days I will drop them at breakfast club at 7.50am, get to work for 8.30 and then childminder will collect them at 3pm and I will collect from there at about 5.30-6pm depending on when I can get away.
Childminder could prob have done breakfasts too but breakfast club was cheaper. Holidays I will use childminder
If you plan to use before/after school clubs check they will take them for the start of reception - one local school (not where mine are going) - only takes them from 5yrs so if child doesn't turn 5 until summer term you'd have 2 terms where you can't use school clubs
Would def recommend childminder for at least some of the time so you can also use for holiday cover. Plus childminders more flexible if you are running late etc.
Good luck! I have found it very stressful getting it all organised - now just hoping it all works out come Sept!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now