Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

which childminder to choose?

(9 Posts)
bluechameleon Tue 04-Aug-15 19:44:16

All else being equal, would you choose
- a solo childminder who would be looking after your child and two (sometimes only one) of her own
or
- a wife-husband team looking after possibly up to 10 children, including 2 of their own after school only?
Have narrowed down our choice to these two but finding it hard to decide which would be better. DH and I are leaning towards different options.

Duggee Tue 04-Aug-15 19:45:50

If they were exactly the same otherwise I would go for the smaller group.

Fluffy24 Tue 04-Aug-15 19:46:03

How old is your DC?

bluechameleon Tue 04-Aug-15 21:33:42

My DS will be almost 1 when he starts.

HSMMaCM Tue 04-Aug-15 21:59:32

You have to go with what feels right. Each person can have up to 6 children, so same ratios with either. If the couple do school runs and the solo minder doesn't, would this affect your forward planning for when your child starts school. A solo minder may have to leave the children when making lunch, changing nappies, using the toilet etc. The couple with the larger group may be noisy depending on the set up.

I have done both. Minded on my own for 10 years and with DH for the last 5. There are advantages and disadvantages to the children both ways. I do find the children get more 1:1 time with two of us.

Diggum Tue 04-Aug-15 21:59:38

First option without a doubt for me. As close to one-on-one as possible for the early years I think.

mrsmeerkat Tue 04-Aug-15 21:59:39

I think the solo minder for this young age but the larger group of children might be great for developing speech and stimulation

LL0015 Tue 04-Aug-15 22:47:34

I like the bigger group scenario. But only if you'd def get that school. The social aspect to child's development is great.
Mine are in a big mixed group, now 8 & 5 but little and bigger kids around. Makes them more confident.

Fluffy24 Wed 05-Aug-15 15:01:03

I'd probably go for the bigger group, I like the sound of the dynamic there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now