Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What do I need to know about a having/finding a nanny?

(6 Posts)
Midori1999 Mon 03-Aug-15 07:13:07

I will be working four days a week soon, but one or two of those will be when my ex can have the children, so I will need a nanny for 2-3 days a week, which will be 12 hour days from 7-7 to allow for travelling. This will be for four children aged 2, 4, 11 and 14. Clearly the 14 year old doesn't need a lot of hands on care.

I have no clue how to find a nanny or what I need to consider, such as whether I am responsible for tax and national insurance or whether the baby is responsible for these? Presumably a contract of employment is needed?

Any help or information greatly received. Thankyou.

Artandco Mon 03-Aug-15 07:17:38

Yes you are responsible for tax and insurance

You might find you need to pay high than average as a) you only need part time so harder for them to work the other days b) 4 children, they can easily choose to care for just 1-2, c) you have very large age group, so nanny needs to be confident with toddlers and teenagers and everything in between

Asleeponasunbeam Mon 03-Aug-15 07:19:40

Love your typo - you have a typical genius mumsnet baby!

We use a payroll agency (nannytax but there are lots of others) and they deal with the PAYE and NI. They also do contract and stuff if you want.

I advertised through childcare.co.uk but it isn't that good anymore. In fact, the nanny I employed was someone I knew a little through toddler groups so I felt very comfortable about her.

Midori1999 Mon 03-Aug-15 08:00:47

Thankyou. I've been looking in childcare.co.uk and some of tech nannies seem to be looking for or agreeable to part time work. The fact that payroll agencies exist makes it seem much less daunting as it seems they just do everything for you too.

Thanks ever so much!

Cindy34 Mon 03-Aug-15 08:39:43

For often less than £20 a month, a payroll company will do much of the admin, so contact a couple and see who you get on with. Many publish things on their websites to help parents who use their services as well as those who do not.
NannyPaye, PayeForNannies and NannyTax often get mentions on here. There are many others but do try to avoid going on price, instead try to see who you get on with best, who answers the phone, who responds to emails. You need a company who is responsive to your needs, as every parent:nanny situation is different. Ask them questions pre signing up to their service. Perhaps ask about holiday entitlement for a part time worker.

Agree a gross salary if you possibly can. Many nannies quite like to work less than 5 days a week. Nanny days can be long, 10-13 hours, so a full time nanny job can be 50-60 hours.

Cindy34 Mon 03-Aug-15 08:44:32

Look locally for a nanny as you want someone who lives within 1/2 hour drive. Depending on where you live, you may find that internet is not great for recruitment but that local village newsletter, word of mouth, advert in the village store, that sort of thing works.
Nannyjob is a website to consider, as they have a list of nannies looking for work which only contains those who have added themselves in the last month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now