This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny/maid not treated right update.

(10 Posts)
nannyuk Tue 28-Jul-15 08:57:01

Hi all i just thought i would update you on the situation. The lady got home ok and has got a job working in a laundry. She was very grateful and got to see her children again for the first time in years. As for the lady that bought her she just sent for another one. This is a big problem and i wish i knew what to do.
Thank you all for the support.

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 29-Jul-15 16:47:27

Thank you for what you did.

hibbleddible Thu 30-Jul-15 15:49:43

Well done for getting her out.

How do you know her employer has bought a new slave? Can you contact the relevant authorities?

chocolatechip123 Thu 30-Jul-15 15:53:30

Were the police involved in the end? You can't just buy people like they were a piece of luggage.

I see so many maids/nannies trotting meekly after families who obviously can't be arsed to look after their own kids.

lagirafe Thu 30-Jul-15 15:56:01

So glad she got home safely. Hopefully the start of a new chapter in her life.
Once again, thank you for having the courage to help her.

nannyuk Thu 30-Jul-15 15:56:26

I did contact the british police again but they said that nothing was possible with them in saudi. I know they got somebody else because i have friends working on the estate.

chocolatechip123 Thu 30-Jul-15 16:02:02

Oh I thought they were Saudis in the UK.

nannyuk Thu 30-Jul-15 16:15:13

they were in the uk for a holiday when i helped.

chocolatechip123 Thu 30-Jul-15 17:03:10

Sadly it will be notched up to 'cultural' issues. Our local paper has run some awful stories (usually in the summer months) of maids jumping out of windows or or running away with the clothes on their backs (passports held by the families they work for) to escape conditions which are basically modern day slavery. The are brought from abroad where it must be the norm to have staff on tap.

nannyuk Thu 30-Jul-15 17:06:50

I had one boss ask to hold my passport. I walked out 1 hour later

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now