Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny or nursery?

(9 Posts)
SleepShake Sat 25-Jul-15 21:17:52

Double posting this:

DD has a nanny who she gets on well with. DD is 2 years old.

She has now been offered a one day nursery place at an outstanding nursery locally. I'm wondering whether I should take that up as well as doing hours with the nanny?

The pros are that its really hard to get into that nursery, and I'm worried next year when she is 3 & needs to go to nursery, she won't get a place, I've also got my hopes on the 30 hours free childcare piloting from next Sep (when she'll be 3) and that would help us a lot!

On the other hand I'm worried she may not settle in well and are there really any benefits in the short term for a one day place?

So what should I do? Any advice?

PinPon Sat 25-Jul-15 21:26:25

I don't think there's that much benefit in a one day place, unless it opens the door for a nursery pattern that you want in the future.

It may be that there are more places available at the nursery for 3 year olds than for 2 year olds (because of the different ratios needed). Why don't you find out how challenging it would be to get a place for a theoretical 3 year old now and base your decision on that?

SleepShake Sat 25-Jul-15 22:02:36

Thanks PinPon! Any tips on how to do that without coming across like we are not interested at all?

HettyD Sat 25-Jul-15 22:20:54

I always split my childcare so my son had a wider choice of toys to play with, people, activities etc. he didn't seem upset and they did usefully cover each other when needed (ie childminder was ill and nursery covered the extra hours etc) the as he got older he went to nursery more and CM less... Worked for me!

Karoleann Sat 25-Jul-15 23:23:18

I would just ring them and say that you love the nursery, but you'd be very worried about them settling for only one day a week, (you can quote other nurseries not allowing one session a week).
But then say you'd be really happy to wait until they had another day free...so then you could do two days, they might offer you two days straight away?

SleepShake Sun 26-Jul-15 08:15:09

Thanks Karol. I'm not sure if at this age is better for her to be at a nursery or be with a nanny?

Artandco Sun 26-Jul-15 08:25:34

At 2 I would leave with nanny unless you have to change due to cost. A nanny can tailer day much more to your child, and at that age close attachment with their carers is important. Bare in mind things like if child is ill nanny will usually care for them still, but nursery won't allow them in.

rainsouth Sun 26-Jul-15 17:20:45

Thank you Art. I believe my heart has been leaning more towards that nanny too, just because I feel she'll have that secure attachment and won't feel ignored.

HSMMaCM Sun 26-Jul-15 23:55:30

If you need year round care and sickness cover then a nanny is better. A 2 year old doesn't really need nursery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now