Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Chinese speaking p/t nanny/babysitter hard to find

(8 Posts)
Tencarat Mon 20-Jul-15 21:31:47

Hi. I am looking for a part-time Chinese speaking nanny and finding it difficult without having to pay ridiculous agency fees? Most agencies don't even seem confident in finding someone. I am quite flexible with time and experience. Any advice on where else I can look for a languge nanny/babysitter? Thanks

nbee84 Mon 20-Jul-15 22:04:10

Not had any experience of this myself but just wondered if you were situated near any universities? I live near Herts uni, my son goes to Bristol uni and my daughter went to Birmingham. All 3 had a large number of Chinese students. It might be worth contacting the uni (if you are near one) to see if you could advertise with them. You may find a student that could fit your requirements around their studies.

nannyuk Tue 21-Jul-15 00:10:27

I speak japanese is that helps? i can read chinese

nannyuk Tue 21-Jul-15 00:10:43

*if

mimishimmi Wed 22-Jul-15 03:41:53

Hmmm. Unless you are Chinese yourself, might be difficult. Why don't you just make your kids do Pimsleur lessons? They have four levels of 30 lessons each with their Mandarin course. Much cheaper smile

Strawberrybubblegum Fri 24-Jul-15 20:56:57

Childcare.co.uk have an advanced search option which allows you to put in a search term which it looks for in the whole text of the person's profile. You'll probably have to trawl through quite a few false positives, but hopefully you'll also get some who are or speak Chinese.

If you have a Chinese language nursery or a Saturday School near you, then the carers / teachers might be interested - but I've usually seen this happen where the child is already there.

Tencarat Mon 27-Jul-15 21:24:30

Thank you all for your suggestions. nbee84 - great idea. I will definitely try some universities. nannyuk - sorry but I am looking specifically for a Chinese speaker. mimishimmi - I have not heard of that before. Will look into it. Strawberrybubblegum - thanks. I just had a look at that site.

Have any of you tried the site strawberrybubblegum talks about? Childcare.co.uk? What are your thoughts?

Thanks again

BigFoxLittleFox Mon 27-Jul-15 21:29:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now