Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannies who look after babies, 10 months to 18 months age ranges, what is your routine?

(11 Posts)
lushaliciousbob Sun 19-Jul-15 21:18:11

So I think I've found a new nanny job. I don't want to give too many details out but I will be caring for two babies within this age range. I would love to hear your general daily / weekly routines please. literally hour to hour as I'm going to make a plan to make life easier. I've done school aged children for a while so never formally nannied babies, only babysat! thanks

grabaspoon Sun 19-Jul-15 21:34:56

Ok so in my current job my charge has just turned 19 months so I can tell you her current routine; I will also add what she was doing at 10 months

On a general 0630-1830 day

At 10 months

630 cuddles with a beaker of milk and stories
7.15 breakfast - wheetabix and fruit ; unstack the dishwasher/have a cup of tea
8/830 get dressed - make sure change bag is all packed
9 baby into the pram - laid down with a blanket; walk into town - baby allowed upto 30 minutes nap - awake by 9.30 if she didn't fall asleep or only slept for 10 minutes that was fine
9.30-10ish run errands in town
10 snack time - breadsticks/ricecakes
10-11.30 toddler group / music session at the library etc
11.30 head home
11.45/12 lunch time - by then eating 3 full meals [lunch beans on toast etc]
12 ish - straight after lunch upto bed for a 2 hour nap
12-2 / 12.30-2.30 / 1-3 naptime - I do general chores; ironing, tidying up, sorting clothes etc/have a lunch break
3 baby into the pram - and off for a walk / painting at home / walk to the shop / free play / sensory play
4.30 Dinner time - chicken casserole and mash
5 free play while I wash up
530 stories on the sofa
6 bath time
6.15 milk
6.30 start of stories/songs and bedtime

630 cuddles with a beaker of milk and stories
7.15 breakfast - wheetabix and fruit ; unstack the dishwasher/have a cup of tea
8/830 get dressed - make sure change bag is all packed
9 - 10ish run errands in town
10 snack time - breadsticks/ricecakes
10-11.30 toddler group / music session at the library etc
12 lunch time -
2.30-2.30 - I do general chores; ironing, tidying up, sorting clothes etc/have a lunch break
3 a walk / painting at home / walk to the shop / free play / sensory play
4.30 Dinner time - chicken casserole and mash
5 free play while I wash up
530 stories on the sofa
6 bath time
6.15 milk
6.30 start of stories/songs and bedtime

JellyTipisthebest Sun 19-Jul-15 21:41:00

You will have to follow the families routine, to start with changing it will cause the children most stress. If it is to families then you might want to tweak their routines so they both have one of the sleeps at the same time.

Baby may be still having 2 naps but will be moving towards one. I have always got mine sleeping between 9 and 10 slowly getting shorter often in carseat or pushchair on the way to somewhere.
snack or bottle somewhere between 10 and 11
lunch 11.30 onwards depending what time we get back. I wake a child if they fall asleep on way home. I then put them down for a nap after lunch. I then clear up lunch and have my lunch. I let them sleep as long as they need but if not awake by 3 I would start to wake them. Then bottle or snack then either play at home or a short play date or park.

I have learnt over the years the more you worry about time the more stressed you get. Routine is good but if it stops you doing stuff it not good.

Nannylookingforafamily Sun 19-Jul-15 21:43:03

You haven't done babies before, yet now, u have two.

Wow!

Callaird Sun 19-Jul-15 21:44:11

The babies/mothers may already have their own routines that work well for them but might not be the same as each other. Talk to the mothers first, make sure they are happy to change their routine.

My current charges routine runs from 7:30am to 7:30pm but previously I have done 7am-7pm, which is more normal in my experience, so I'll work on that!

10 month old.

7am - wake and a bottle.
8am - breakfast - cereal, fruit and toast, cup of water.
9am - nap 30-45 minutes (car, pram or cot depending on activities)
10am - classes (music, gym babes, toddler group, swimming, park/woods)
12pm - lunch, yoghurt.
12:30 - nap (up to two hours)
2:30 - milk.
3pm - activity (park, garden, crafts, puzzles, baking, singing/nursery rhymes)
4:30 - nap 30 minutes, some 10 month olds may have dropped this nap.
5pm - tea, fruit.
6pm - bath.
6:30 - bottle, stories, bed by 7pm.

18 month would be mainly the same but may have dropped his morning bottle so would do breakfast around 7:30. My charge dropped his morning nap by 18 months but some carry it on for a while. Will probably dropped the 2:30 milk and 4:30 nap too.

Callaird Sun 19-Jul-15 21:48:54

It seems I am very slow at typing, what the other said!!!

grabaspoon Sun 19-Jul-15 21:53:54

Agree with the others - the parents will have a routine that you should use however as has also been said - there should be flexibility to a routine - a baby napping in the pram occasionally, not stressing about timings - as long as lunch is between 1145 and 1 then i'm having a good day grin we also adapt timings so that we can go on days out, meet friends for an afternoon playdate etc.

lushaliciousbob Sun 19-Jul-15 22:42:30

Sorry I p pobably should have clarified. The two babies routines will be in sync by the time I start with them. Also I will be sticking to their routines with eating/ napping, I just wanted to see what others did. The families are keen for me to take lead with what I do, so have been looking at baby groups etc... and will fit it around nap. I wanted to compare other people's day to day routine .
Callaird and grabspoon Those are perfect thank you, exactly what I had in mind smile

I've looked after plenty of babies actually and have done full days but I always followed the parents instructions. formal nannying youngest was 6 months (but only a few hours a day) and full time youngest was 2!

lushaliciousbob Sun 19-Jul-15 22:43:50

I more wanted to see the general times that you all did everything and that is exactly what I had in mind

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 20-Jul-15 08:22:37

Let's hope the parents do sync them. That's the hardest bit about a nanny share as kids may be in different routines if a few months different in age

Twins /siblings are easy to look after. Shares harder as used to doing things their way at home plus always had 100% attention by parents /weekends - then comes to Monday and another child and one adult

Routines same as others said smile

jkdnanny Mon 20-Jul-15 23:17:35

My little one has just turned 1(last wk)

7am-bottle
7:45-weetabix mixed with banana. Rest of milk
8:30-10am-naptime in cot/pram(only tends to nap 40mins in pram, from 9am)
10am snacktime of fruit and beaker of water. Activity-music class, playgroup, playdate, library etc
12-lunch.cooked meal followed by a bowl of natural yoghurt(either plain or I mix fruit in) beaker of water
1-3:30/4pm-naptime(he tends to sleep 3hrs due to fact he doesn't go to bed til 8pm-by parents wishes)
4pm-bottle of milk, fruit and breadstick or rice cake. We tend to play at home or go to the park. Or playdate.
6:20-dinner time(eats on a later routine to average. I tended to always do 5:30 but theyre a French family who prefer later times) cooked meal. Followed by natural yogurt if still hungry.
7pm-bathtime
7:30-bottle
8pm-stories and bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now