Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Let down again, interviewing again - help please!

(5 Posts)
T0R1 Sat 18-Jul-15 11:28:35

So I've had a German au pair in place for 2 months to come and start end of August. Definitely until Christmas but with the potential to stay until next June.

She messaged 2 days ago that due to personal reasons she can no longer come. This is the 3rd or 4th time this has happened to me. It's frustrating as using Au Pair World obviously is not free but the issue is the process of finding an au pair takes so long.

Now please go easy on me, I know how this thread can go, my mum died a couple of months ago so I've not the strength for any kind of mumsnet bashing at the moment. I would like advice on what to ask in the Skype interview. I have done this loads and loads over the years but I have to admit i'm flying by the seat of my pants on Skype every time.

I'd like to make the Skype bit a tad quicker and less painful. Thanks

Karoleann Sat 18-Jul-15 18:26:07

There must be a reason that it keeps happening, I think you need to concentrate on that rather than interviewing techniques
Are you asking for too many hours, or too low pocket money, could you add something to make the offer more attractive eg travel card. Do you want them to do all the cleaning?

Does the am pair not have her own bathroom, if so, you need to add another sweetener. Another poster recently said that they don't compare psckages - but they really do.

It's also really important to keep in touch once you've offered.

It also maybe that you are just offering to the wrong people.

Mintie190 Sun 19-Jul-15 20:47:28

If you are in Greater London, have you heard of this au pair program? www.german-ymca.org.uk/au-pair-services.html You might have better luck than on au pair world.

flashbunny73 Wed 22-Jul-15 11:54:39

Could you find another solution like a nanny share so you can meet in person before coming to any agreement? Or find an au pair already in the UK?

minderjinx Wed 22-Jul-15 13:42:58

I suspect you have been trying to plan too far ahead. Three months is plenty of time for an au pair to have second thoughts, a change in personal circumstances or get a better offer. You may be luckier if you look now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now