Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny/maid not treated right

(109 Posts)
nannyuk Sat 18-Jul-15 10:45:08

Hi i am not really sure what i am after by posting here but i think i just need to vent. i work as a holiday nanny so i either go on holiday with a family to look after the children or i look after children that come on holiday to london.

The family that i have just started working for also have a maid/ nanny.
The maid has 5 child back in her home country and she was purchased by the family so she is not employed. She told me she is not paid at all and is on call 24/7 even has the youngest children sleep in her bed plus she has to keep the house tidy. I feel really bad for her :/ I have been working with her for a little while and she gets really happy if i do small things such as buy her a drink/ some lunch. She says that i am the kindest person she has ever met. Even the children treat her like dirt. (i am trying to fix that while i am with them) I really don't know what to do or even if there is anything i can do. just wanted to let it out and see if anyone had any ideas

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 18-Jul-15 10:48:17

Police. Slavery is illegal.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Sat 18-Jul-15 10:50:14

If she has been purchased then she is a slave. I agree that the police need to be informed.

nannyuk Sat 18-Jul-15 10:50:21

I thought that at first but the laws are different where she is working. I don't think that the saudi police will help

SearchingforSleep Sat 18-Jul-15 10:50:45

She was purchased???

This sounds absolutely horrendous - I'd agree, go straight to the police.

Nolim Sat 18-Jul-15 10:51:46

Purchased????
Wtf!!!!!!
Call the police.

WireCat Sat 18-Jul-15 10:53:32

What country is this?

TheClacksAreDown Sat 18-Jul-15 10:53:55

Are you currently in the UK or Saudi?

purplemurple1 Sat 18-Jul-15 10:54:30

She isn't in Saudi now though so the UK police should act while she is in the country.

nannyuk Sat 18-Jul-15 10:55:18

since doing this job i have met up with other nannies and chidren and all of the nannies are in the same position. the saudi police are aware of the situation but they don't do anything

TattieHowkerz Sat 18-Jul-15 10:55:19

Are they in the uk at the moment, or will they bring her to the uk? Agree it may be hard/impossible to get help in Saudi, but a visit to the uk could help to secure her escape. If she is on the uk please contact the police.

Tummyrumbled Sat 18-Jul-15 10:56:02

Are you in the UK?
If so, contact Kalayaan www.kalayaan.org.uk

If it is in the Middle east, then I'm not surprised. Such a fuck up place.

nannyuk Sat 18-Jul-15 10:57:15

they travel back tomorrow i tried to go to the uk police but they said they needed the nanny to make the complaint.

nannyuk Sat 18-Jul-15 10:58:50

Yes we are in the uk now but the police are really unwilling to do anything. There are loads of people in the same situation in the middle east.

nannyuk Sat 18-Jul-15 10:59:47

I was thinking maybe i could help her run away and get her to an embassy

TattieHowkerz Sat 18-Jul-15 11:01:34

Modernslavery.co.uk has a helpline.
Whoever you spoke to at the police is wrong! A complaint should maybe be made later.

Try 999, or contact immigration control at the airport.

TattieHowkerz Sat 18-Jul-15 11:01:56

Yes, or embassy if she is willing.

Allgunsblazing Sat 18-Jul-15 11:02:02

Christ! Take her to the police so she can make a complaint. Purchased? In 2015? Where is she from?

kissmaass Sat 18-Jul-15 11:04:08

Take her somewhere - you might be the only chance she will ever have of a decent life. Womens Aid/Police Station? Just help her to get away from those bastards.

nannyuk Sat 18-Jul-15 11:04:10

she is a phillipeno maid. she has been with them for 6 years already

nannyuk Sat 18-Jul-15 11:05:35

I will try today and update when i i have more news. Thank you everyone i was starting to doubt things after going to the police.

trufflehunterthebadger Sat 18-Jul-15 11:05:40

Get her away and go straight to the nearest police station. Tell them that you are assisting her to flee domestic slavery. Do NOT leave until someone that knows what they are doing helps you.

Exploitation and modern slavery are big priorities at the moment, especially for the Met

trufflehunterthebadger Sat 18-Jul-15 11:06:46

Are you in London OP ?

SavoyCabbage Sat 18-Jul-15 11:07:30

This is horrific. I hope you can help her.

The only time I ever needed the police they were spectacularly unhelpful.

TattieHowkerz Sat 18-Jul-15 11:07:38

Good luck. You are lovely for doing this, so many people would turn away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now