Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Extra money for au pairs work

(10 Posts)
Anon2309 Fri 17-Jul-15 07:39:33

This is mostly just a rant. I've recently been left alone for several days with my two carees. Keep in mind it was 3 nights and 4 days, on the same week that I also babysat 2 nights. I aslo babysat 4 times the week before that (including both Friday and Saturday). And this week three nights in a row. I am absolutely drained and exhausted after spending all this time with a 5yo and a 7yo. The parents gave me £45 for those 4 days "for my extra work" and I am usually a calm person but honestly felt like smacking them in the face. I hate talking about money but I honestly think I deserve much more than 45 quid for all that. Haven't been out for three weeks now due to all the babysitting, and I'm just getting really mad about this.

Hellionsitem2 Fri 17-Jul-15 07:44:36

I'd look for another job

Say no when they ask you to do extra and direct them to people that might be able to work the extra time. If they ask why you won't work extra, explain that the hourly rate is too low on the extra hours you work. You feel taken advantage of

Hellionsitem2 Fri 17-Jul-15 07:46:39

How many hours are you contracted to work? Just do contracted hours only for a few weeks until they agree to pay properly

Hellionsitem2 Fri 17-Jul-15 07:47:40

Or complain to your agency and get them to email them about fair pay

Anon2309 Fri 17-Jul-15 08:23:51

25 hrs a week, before and after school care. I'm not with an agency.

BlackandGold Fri 17-Jul-15 08:55:09

Are you a nanny? And are you saying you slept over for three nights with the children for a total cost of £45?

If so, this really isn't on and you need to speak with the parents and review your contract with them. Actually, it sounds like time to look elsewhere for another job!

chippednailvarnish Fri 17-Jul-15 08:56:22

Leave! They sound horrible.

Piratespoo Fri 17-Jul-15 08:57:55

why are they not paying you per hour? how much do you get per hour? or do you get paid weekly for 25 hours? You should be left alone overnight with the children for that long!

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 17-Jul-15 09:11:21

Find another position there are lots of us who ask much less and give you more time off. I have only ever left an au pair over night once for a single night and the next week I she only work 5 hours.

Hellionsitem2 Fri 17-Jul-15 09:25:04

They are using you! What horrid unethical people.

Find someone nice and reasonable to with for

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now