This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder question,

(7 Posts)
Duggee Tue 14-Jul-15 18:22:12

If a parent asked you dondonsomething that's against guidelines would you do it? Examples early weaning, cows milk at 6 months, semi skimmed milk at 9 months. Tapping of hand when they've misbehaved (as a baby 9 months plus).

kathryng90 Tue 14-Jul-15 19:20:20

I am led by parents for example potty training or baby led weaning and will try to do it their way. But no I would not go against guidelines without a good reason. Early weaning I have gone with under medical supervision. No to milk. Get some parents currently who stopped sterilising bottles at 4 months but I explained guidelines and got a steriliser to do the bottles myself. Everyone happy. Definitely no to smacking/tapping whatever they try to call it. Are you a parent or have you been asked to do these by a parent?

DonkeyOaty Tue 14-Jul-15 19:25:56

Early weaning with medical evidence/advice.
Cow's milk again, the practitioner would expect something from a HCP.
Tapping of hand erm no! Against regs.

Duggee Tue 14-Jul-15 19:36:55

From a parent! I've said no to the tapping and milk but did do the weaning (5 months) as they had already started at 16 weeks. I'm not really impressed and not is the parent! I can see this agreement ending soon!

Jackie0 Tue 14-Jul-15 19:40:09

Our childminding association wouldn't allow us to be a member if we agreed to stuff like this.

bobajob Tue 14-Jul-15 19:41:10

5 months is hardly early weaning, and if they're providing the milk it's really a parenting choice. You can't smack a child though as a childminder, even with parental permission.

HSMMaCM Tue 14-Jul-15 20:03:39

As others have said, I'd do it with professional guidance, but definitely not the smacking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now