Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Getting an au pair in January - difficult?

(9 Posts)
Tiggertum Tue 14-Jul-15 07:58:06

We currently have our first au pair who is with us for the summer, and so far it is going great! As a result I am thinking of looking for another au pair for a longer stay. For various reasons it would be best for this to start in January.

I'm wondering though is it going to be difficult to find someone good to start in January? I'm assuming most girls look to start either july or September? I could instead have someone from this October, but am thinking it might be a bit late to recruit for then now?

I did wonder if January might be OK for Aussie/ New Zealand? I used au pair work this time - is this also te bet place for non eu girls or do they tend to use an agency?

Many thanks!!

Tiggertum Tue 14-Jul-15 07:58:59

Sorry used au pair world that should say!

dairyfarmerswife Tue 14-Jul-15 09:19:22

I recruited our (male) au pair via au pair world in January for a February start and had loads of applicants. He is slightly older, at 26, but I wanted someone who could drive our cars without extra insurance. I think graduate jobs can be fairly hard to come by in Spain and Italy so you might find there are quite a few around.

I also don't think you are necessarily too late to recruit for October.

We are on our first au pair free day as he has just finished sad and I will be recruiting later in the year for another February starter.

Tiggertum Tue 14-Jul-15 10:17:55

Thanks dairy farmer, that's reassuring.

I have 2 boys and my husband is away so I am actually considering a make au pair next time - I'm guessing from your post you've had a good experience ( a lot of people I speak to seem to be very anti male au pairs)?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 14-Jul-15 12:13:13

The last two years I have recruited for January both have been great. November/December is the very worst time for a start and in my experience you need to come up with another childcare solution till January.

Tiggertum Tue 14-Jul-15 13:22:42

Thanks lonecat - can I asked when you started recruiting for a January start? We actually don't need anyone until then so no prob a with childcare in the interim

dairyfarmerswife Wed 15-Jul-15 20:21:25

Hi Tigger

Yes, I would class it as a good experience, though as he was our first, we have nothing to compare with! He was quite introverted, and spent most of his free time in his room or watching the Simpsons! (Though I think he used it to improve his English!). That was personality rather than down to his sex though.

But he was conscientious, good with the children and reliable, which was my priority. I didn't demand any cleaning or cooking, though he did both occasionally. As you might guess from my username we farm so I am usually here but outside, so never far away in the event of a problem.

ek54 Wed 15-Jul-15 21:05:40

Hi Tigger, we got an au pair in January and didn't have a problem finding someone. If I can remember, I would have started looking at least by early November and I may have even started in October. We got loads of replies. I found it a good time of year to get an au pair. We used kangaroo ap but I'm sure you would have a similar experience on ap world. You shouldn't have any problems getting fixed up. Good luck smile

Tiggertum Wed 15-Jul-15 21:40:49

Thanks everyone, that's really reassuring - now we have an au pair I'm wondering how I ever did without one wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now