Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Confirming au pair from Au Pair World..what do I need?

(7 Posts)
Dragonball Tue 14-Jul-15 07:36:16

Hello, we've confirmed a lovely girl to start as our au pair from September- she's agreed via email. I've already spoken to a mother she's babysat for as a references and on her profile are 2 written references from jobs she's done at school looking after kids. I'll ask her to send me those, but I wondered what other references I needed? We went through an agency last year and had a contract for example, so any advice on what Else I need would be great. Thank you

Karoleann Tue 14-Jul-15 09:18:59

You need
1. a copy of the photo page on her passport (to confirm nationality).
2. A police check. Different countries have different processes to obtain one, you can google it for her to make it easier. Having said that, they all seem significantly easier to get that our CBS check!
3. I asked for a medical certificate from our first three au pairs to say that they were fit and well. I didn't from our current one as they don't have the same sort of medical set up as European Countries and it would have been too onerous to sort out.
4. A letter of introduction (like a contract). Again if you google you will get some good examples. It needs to include a basic outline of duties, start and finish dates, working days, number of babysits, weekly working hours. Her accommodation. Details of your children and their ages.
5. A copy of her driving licence and a certificate of any endorsements if she'll be driving for you.

Dragonball Tue 14-Jul-15 09:26:34

Great, thanks

ArtichokeTagine Tue 14-Jul-15 21:46:34

Wow. I have never asked for anything other than references.

Karoleann Tue 14-Jul-15 23:23:20

Artichoke - that's pretty standard, you've someone living in your house and looking after your children!

ArtichokeTagine Wed 15-Jul-15 06:32:51

Sorry I should clarify that I always do the contract and we don't ask our APs to drive so the license is irrelevant.

I've never asked for a police check. We hire gap year girls aged 18/19 and it just never occurred to me. I interview them extensively, take references and have always emailed one referee to back-up reference but not done a police check. I ask them about their health but tbh I think asking for a health check is a bit invasive.

ArtichokeTagine Wed 15-Jul-15 06:34:41

Oh and it never occurred to check nationality! I do befriend them on FB before employing them. And stalk them on Instagram. Social media can you a lot more about a teenager than official paperwork sometimes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now