Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Need Mary Poppins....

(10 Posts)
Goose04 Mon 13-Jul-15 21:28:38

I have been offered a good job which involves 12 weeks residential training (Mon-Fri). I have been home for five years with my three kids (youngest is 2). I have a 3 year old, who has health issues and a developmental delay and an older son, 5, who is starting school. I have been given 6 months grace in attending training to sort things out and make sure the transition to school goes ok, but where on earth do I find a nanny who can cope with all of this 5 days and nights a week while I am away? I can hardly cope some days...am i expecting too much? Do nannies who can do this even exist?

Nannylookingforafamily Mon 13-Jul-15 21:49:57

Where are you based?

PinkPearlClutcher Mon 13-Jul-15 22:46:08

It's perfectly plausible that you'll find someone to do this, but expect to pay through the nose for it.

If you're talking about 24/7 care, which it sounds like you are, I would expect you'll need to pay £150 per 24 hours (dependant on location).

Do you have any relatives that can sleepover with kids therefore only needing the nanny for days - that would be much cheaper.

You want to look at nanny agencies in your area, especially those who have temp nannies.

nannynick Mon 13-Jul-15 23:06:26

Experienced nannies may well be willing to do it but for a large salary. It may take some time to find the right person.

Is there anyone else who can help out - the father of your children, other relatives?

Is the residential training near, or far away? If far away then consider when you would need to leave on the Monday morning (or would it need to be Sunday evening)? When would you get back?

wizzywig Tue 14-Jul-15 15:58:33

try snapchildcare. they deal with kids with special needs

Artandco Tue 14-Jul-15 16:01:50

A 24/5 nanny is easy enough to find. Just be prepared to pay. Around here you will be looking at £240 min per 24 hrs. So £1250 a week net.

Goose04 Tue 14-Jul-15 23:34:57

Thanks everyone.
We are based on an Island in the very North of Scotland. There are no local agencies who provide Nannies but there are a couple of Scottish ones I will try.
My Husband (the kids dad) will be home at nights for half of the 12 weeks so he will cover those but I need someone to do the bulk of the day work and half/quarter of the nights of the 12 weeks.
The training is "off island" so yes I will probably travel on the Sunday evening and return on the Friday Evening.
I don't mind paying well for the right one.

Artandco Wed 15-Jul-15 07:17:06

You can use a London based nanny. They place nannies locally, worldwide, and everything in between.

Advertise now as most will need a 2-3 month notice if currently still in another position.

You might actually do well finding someone like a maternity nanny as they work 24/5-7 usually on a temporary basis. So more likely to have just 6 months spare. Most maternity nannies were just day nannies for older children also previously, so should have experience with various ages, as well as the 24ht aspect

mrswishywashy Wed 15-Jul-15 22:07:13

Id comtact some agencies both London and local. If you get the right package especially pay you should get a good candidate.. Probably best for at least a two week handover and hopefully nanny can stay if she wants at weekends.

If I was not 24 weeks pregnant I'd love the chance of a position like yours.

Nannylookingforafamily Thu 16-Jul-15 08:10:47

Can the nanny stay the whole time, as in the weekend too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now