Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders- would you expect a present?

(15 Posts)
cleoteacher Mon 13-Jul-15 11:55:31

DS has been going to his childminder for just under 2 years. It's term time only so he's about to stop for the summer and restart in sept until January and then go to pre-school in January when he's three.

Would you expect me to buy you a present if you are a childminder? I guess it's the end of the term and people are buying presents for nursery staff and teachers etc but although it is the end of the term by ds will be returning to the childminder in sept. I will obviously say thanks for the year but I am I rude not getting a present? Obviously I will buy one for Christmas and then when ds actually leaves permanently in January.

Wwyd? Last day wed so would need to get something tomorrow. If yes, what?

Frusso Mon 13-Jul-15 11:58:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jackie0 Mon 13-Jul-15 12:00:28

No I wouldn't

cleoteacher Mon 13-Jul-15 12:55:16

That's a nice idea a card so will do that.

HSMMaCM Mon 13-Jul-15 13:11:59

I wouldn't expect a present, but a 'have a happy summer' card sounds like a nice idea.

cleoteacher Mon 13-Jul-15 15:52:52

Where can I find ideas for cards? I am not very creative.

minderjinx Mon 13-Jul-15 16:01:49

Most of my parents are teachers and I often get presents at the end of the school year, possibly because they do and so are in that mindset. I also often get postcards from the kiddies on their holidays.

minderjinx Mon 13-Jul-15 16:02:57

Forgot to say that my prezzies are usually bottles, flowers or plants!

Rosieliveson Mon 13-Jul-15 16:03:58

Google handprint sun card. Perfect for a 'have a nice summer' card smile

Loulou2kent Wed 15-Jul-15 20:31:21

No I wouldn't expect a prezzie just because the holidays are coming up! Especially as your son is going back in Sept! X

cleoteacher Thu 16-Jul-15 14:11:47

Thanks for replies . Will get a present when he leaves at Xmas then. No idea what though, better get my thinking hat on.

Would something with ds's photo on be cheesy and annoying?

minderjinx Thu 16-Jul-15 14:28:14

Not annoying, but quite likely a waste of money which would end up in the loft. I have looked after 30 or 40 children over the years. My house would be awash with personalised mugs, boxes and trinkets if everyone went down that route, and I'd rather just have a few bits from my own family on display. I have photos on my laptop for when I feel like reminiscing.

Jackie0 Thu 16-Jul-15 14:31:06

Please don't give your childminder a photo of your child.

HSMMaCM Thu 16-Jul-15 15:36:59

Gifts I've been given over the years which I've loved :
Wine
Chocolates
Tickets for the shard
Big box of craft materials
Vouchers for local theatre
Cinema vouchers
Meal vouchers
Hand cream
Thank you letter / reference

Also just a hug and thank you at the door, which has been fine.

I already have photos and memories to remind me of the children and one rather beautiful poem, so I don't need any other specific things to remember them by.

anewyear Thu 16-Jul-15 17:12:40

I have had 2 children leave in the last few weeks..
! had been with me just a year, the other 5,

A card would have been lovely just to say thank You..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now