Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Does Friday night babysitting count as weekend or weekday?

(15 Posts)
Nannyville Mon 13-Jul-15 10:18:06

Hello, although I've been nannying for a quite a number of years I just wanted to test the water with babysitting ideas before I have a discussion with my new employer. I know it's probably subjective but would help to know if there's any consensus because my agency haven't been terribly helpful!

I have 2 night of babysitting in my provisional contract and this includes Friday nights. In my mind a Friday is not equal to, say, a Tuesday and will have quite an impact on what I'm able to do with my weekends as I often go away Friday to Sunday. Also by Friday I am usually ready to drop let alone stay til midnight babysitting. Am I being really unreasonable as Friday is still a weekday? My new employer seems very decent and reasonable but just wanted to ask opinions before I go and speak with her about it.

Thanks in advance!

ClunkyBoobster Mon 13-Jul-15 10:22:31

I think reasonable people would agree that Friday evening is the weekend. But technically it is a weekday. But then for the same reason that you don't want to babysit on a Friday evening - your employer is more likely to want a babysitter on a Friday! Tough dilemma. Maybe when you go to speak to her about it you could suggest limiting Friday night babysitting to once a month?

Good luck!

GaryBaldy Mon 13-Jul-15 10:24:44

Tough call really - yes I would think of it as the weekend, but then would you class Sunday night as a weeknight instead? Similar limiting weekend impact.

Yerazig Mon 13-Jul-15 11:55:37

To me as a nanny I would say Monday to Thursday is week day then Friday onwards is classed as weekend babysitting

Karoleann Mon 13-Jul-15 14:33:22

Do you usually work on a Friday? If so, I think it would be classed as a normal working weekday.

We chose to have a nanny just on a Friday, so that we could go out without having to hand over to an external babysitter.

It probably depends on how often your employer goes out on a Friday, you may be able to negotiate only working every other.

PhoebeMcPeePee Mon 13-Jul-15 14:46:04

I would count end of daytime Friday as the end of the working week & Friday night I'd class as weekend. Why not ask for max 1 Friday a month or alternate as every Friday night does seem excess unless they are paying you extremely well

WellTidy Tue 14-Jul-15 12:59:19

I'm a nanny employer, but I've never had babysitting as part of our nanny's contract, so I haven't faced this situation. But to me, a Friday is a weekday. Just like if I work late on a Friday night at work, I am not working the weekend. Granted, its anti-social, but I couldn't say that it was the weekend. There are 5 weekdays, Monday to Friday. There are 2 weekend nights, Saturday and Sunday.

Would you be willing to babysit on a Sunday night instead of a Friday? As I don't think you could reasonably say that a weekend has 3 nights in it.

Purplepumpkins Tue 14-Jul-15 13:33:19

Friday,Saturday and Sunday are weekends and so weekend rates apply.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 14-Jul-15 13:37:17

I'd class Friday evening as the start of the weekend.

GarlicBreadItsTheFuture Tue 14-Jul-15 13:41:58

When I had a full time nanny her contract included 2 nights babysitting and stipulated Monday to Thursday. Friday night was counted as part of the weekend. So the week ran from 7am Monday to 7pm Friday.

Callaird Tue 14-Jul-15 14:34:43

Friday is a weekend night!

I've never had Friday night included in my babysitting. I will babysit on a Friday - if I am not busy and for a fee.

Sunday night is not a weekend night, as a nanny I can't go out and drink on a Sunday night. I might have a glass of wine at lunch time but I can't get pissed!

ImNotChangingMyUsernameAgain Tue 14-Jul-15 14:54:50

I'd treat it as a weekend night.

Our live in nanny works Monday to Friday and does 2 nights babysitting Mon-Thurs, but we agreed in her contract that once a month she would do a Friday night as well.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 15-Jul-15 16:38:16

As others said a Friday night is start of the weekend - any time after contracted hours finish is on a Friday - so if asked to babysit you can say no

Mon to thur is fair

BeeRayKay Wed 15-Jul-15 16:44:54

Where I work Friday night is a weeknight. So we get every other weekend off. But I frequently do a friday night sihft, which runs to 8am Saturday morning, so explain that how you will.

Ideal76 Wed 15-Jul-15 18:52:02

Whenever I have been a live in nanny it's only Monday - Thursday nights that are included . If I babysit on a Friday or Saturday if free these are paid extra .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now