Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Can a 16-year-old pick up my child to and from school and be paid?

(5 Posts)
Fiona2011231 Wed 08-Jul-15 21:32:05

Could you pls advise?

I'm looking for someone to take my child (year two) to school in the morning, and to pick him up from school in the afternoon. In the afternoon, that person will play with him for about one hour before I come home.

There is someone nearby who wants to do it, but that person is only 16. Is it legal for me to pay her to do this job?

Thank you

nannynick Wed 08-Jul-15 21:54:18

You would need to check with the school.
The young person can be employed at that age but working hours may be limited if they are still in education.
The education department of local council may be a place to contact for information about employing a young person.
www.gov.uk/child-employment may be useful.

Hulababy Wed 08-Jul-15 22:05:07

I work at an infant school and we and for a written letter for the parent of they want a secondary school age child to collect their child.

As for the 16 looking after your child after school - isn't that just babysitting and I don't think there is a legal age for that. 16 would definitely be old enough though.

Fiona2011231 Wed 08-Jul-15 22:21:51

Thank you. So it seems it is legal to pay her. Also, I suppose it is alright if I ask her to help my son with homework?

NannyNim Thu 09-Jul-15 07:57:09

At 15 I used to babysit a 6mth old for a couple of hours after school. The mum lived in a flat and worked downstairs so not quite the same but I was paid a couple of quid cash in hand.
If you trust the 16yr old then I don't see a problem. Perhaps send them on a babysitting training or first aid course to give you some piece of mind. Also makes them mire employable if they're interested in doing more childcare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now