Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Best nanny payroll service provider?

(8 Posts)
newwheel27 Wed 08-Jul-15 13:47:27

I'm going back to work and gearing up to hire a nanny. I've begun comparing nanny payroll service providers and am keen to know who you use and why you chose them. Also keen to know if you've had bad experiences with a particular service and why. I've noticed a range in subscription fees from NannyTax at £276/pa to PAYE for Nannies at £135/pa for the weekly service and £235/pa for the monthly with others such as Nanny Payroll Service, Nanny Matters and NannyPaye somewhere in-between. Are there circumstances where one must choose the more expensive weekly option - i.e. nannies who insist on being paid weekly or where the employer prefers to pay weekly for tax reasons? If there are users out there who use the standard, non-nanny branded, payroll services what has been your experience of these? Are they significantly less expensive? Do you get the same legal/employment law support?

newwheel27 Wed 08-Jul-15 14:06:34

Just found some previous threads on this question - going back to read them now.

eeyore12 Wed 08-Jul-15 15:38:53

With the new real time reporting most of not all people on PAYE should be paid monthly and it is up to you as the employer to tell the nanny that that is how they will be paid.

softhedgehog Wed 08-Jul-15 20:12:48

No reason to pay weekly. PAYEfornannies are excellent and I don't understand why anyone uses nannytax when they are so much more expensive!

toomanywheeliebins Wed 08-Jul-15 21:24:58

Also used PAYEfornannies. V good. Always helpful on phone/ email

nannynick Wed 08-Jul-15 21:45:35

I would not choose on price alone but more on what services they provide which you are likely to use, how quickly they answer the phone and how friendly they are.
You may want just basic payroll, or you may want someone you can call for general advise about employing a nanny.

As a nanny I do not know why parents pick one provider over another. It may be whomever they hear about first.

How about narrowing down to two providers and then calling them with a question, see who will give you some free advice - maybe ask about holiday entitlment or about if you should agree a Net or Gross salary, weekly vs monthly pay.

NannyPaye
PayeForNannies
NannyTax

Those are the main three who have been around a number of years and get mentioned on here quite a lot.

nannynick Fri 10-Jul-15 08:19:45

Have you called any yet?
How good a company are is often not known until there is a problem. All are good at doing the basic payroll function but it is when a problem arises that they excel or fail as you really want them to deal with HMRC as much as possible.

Integration with pension provider - pension won't apply for a while if you are a first time employer but worth asking about how the payroll company can help with the admin side of running a pension scheme. Are they able to manage it on your behalf or only produce the figures needed and you need to do the admin?

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 10-Jul-15 12:35:28

You can pay weekly with RTI ( I have several staff who are still paid weekly). As an employer there is no difference in tax and NI, but your payroll provider will charge you more. It costs me more it takes my book keeper 4 times as long to do weekly pay as it does to do monthly over the year.
I could force my staff to go monthly, but I look at it like thus they are adamant it will cause them difficulties and I will just end up with grumpy staff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now