Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Can I hire a nanny with no insurance etc.

(10 Posts)
Vijac Sat 04-Jul-15 10:21:11

With my first I used nursery. Now thinking about childcare for no 2. We have a cleaner who said she likes childcare and would be interested. She has two teenaged children. She is reliable and trustworthy. We will need 3 days a month. Would you have any reservations about hiring someone who is not officially registered as a nanny?

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 04-Jul-15 10:46:57

Ask her to get a dbs and first aid and pli - this is for both your benifits

If you want to use vouchers you won't be able to if no childcare qual

You need to work out a gross Salary for her - get employers insurance yourself and either do her tax or use a payroll company

Will you Expect her to clean as well?

Sure there are other things that need to be discussed that nick can help you with

Vijac Sat 04-Jul-15 11:47:28

Sorry what is dbs and pil. Do I have to do all the employer stuff or can I just pay her? Honest question.

nannynick Sat 04-Jul-15 12:00:07

You will almost certainly be her employer as you are deciding when she works and may decide exactly what she does.
A nanny payroll company can help you with the admin and legal aspects such as drawing up a contract. Have a look at NannyPaye as an example. They have some information sheets on their website for employers which may be helpful.
Your nanny does not need Public Liability Insurance but it is suggested she does get it if she can find an underwriter prepared to do it. MortonMichel (would need to call them to discuss as unqualified) and PACEY may consider providing cover. The insurance protects her against something she might accidently do to harm a child in her care, so you must not pay the cost. Like now, you don't pay her cleaners insurance.

nannynick Sat 04-Jul-15 12:01:38

What country are you in? Some things like crininal record checks (DBS) are country specific.

jendot2 Sat 04-Jul-15 17:19:03

I'm sure I will get flamed for this but for 3 days a month I most certainly would not put her on Payroll. I would just pay her as a casual babysitter! Of course if she has another job and earns over the NI threshold then technically this is illegal and you should become her employer.
I expect if she is a legit cleaner she is probably self employed, all my cleaners have been (legitimately). If this is the case then she can prob 'declare' her earnings from you if she wishes this way.
I would send her on a 1st aid course for my own peace of mind. But if I knew and trusted her I wouldn't bother with DBS and Ofsted reg etc.

nannynick Sat 04-Jul-15 20:26:13

If there is no obligation to do those days, like is the situation with a babysitter, then I agree Jendot2, it could probably be done as self employment. The key thing could be the relationship - are they a service provider, like they probably are as a cleaner, or are they an employee?

nannynick Sat 04-Jul-15 20:27:47

Would you have any reservations about hiring someone who is not officially registered as a nanny?

No. Nannies or babysitters don't have to be registered, experienced, or have any training whatsoever. It is more about if you feel you can trust the individual with your most previous things, your children and your home.

Vijac Sat 04-Jul-15 23:11:42

Thanks everyone, very useful and food for thought. I guess I should ask for a criminal record check, I just hope she wouldn't be offended!

adp73 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:03:51

You can't get a DBS done on yourself. An Employer or Ofsted have to do this. So if you don't Employ her or she doesn't register with Ofsted then she won't be able to get one done.

I doubt that Pacey will offer PLI to an unregistered or qualified Nanny. I have no idea what Morton Michel's stance on it would be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now